400 RWHP, what's it take to get there?

kas83

Hi all, new to the PSD's. Truck in question will be a 99.5-01, with a 6 speed, 4x4. I'm still looking for the truck, so I can't say the definate year, but wanting to get an idea of what I need for mods ahead of time.

Anyways, what all will be needed to put 400 to the ground? What kind of programming, fuel, air? And how much money are we talking, ballpark? Thanks in advance.

stage 2 injectors, garrett ballbearing gtp38 charger, flip chip of your choice,intake and exhaust. Should put you in the 380-400hp. area.
And a Clutch upgrade as the stock one last long.
I would say roughly $5000.00

stage 2 injectors, garrett ballbearing gtp38 charger, flip chip of your choice,intake and exhaust. Should put you in the 380-400hp. area.
And a Clutch upgrade as the stock one last long.
I would say roughly $5000.00

So how much can you get without the injectors, or half the price? Didn't quite realize how expensive the 7.3 was to mod. Might have to be happy with about 325-350rwhp I guess.

With just a chip, breather and exhaust you would be in the 270-290 range, add a turbo and you could hit 325hp.
Definetly way more money to mod a 7.3 than a cummins.

thanks for reminding me why i didnt buy a PSD! thanks guys!

dayum thats expensive!

I think that is why cummins swaps are so popular now a days....

Just so this doesn't get too out of hand, I was honestly inquiring about these trucks as I am selling off my 12 valves, and planning to get one. I'm very surprised at how much it costs to make the power I'm looking for.

I simply need a full crew cab, with a long bed. Can't afford a Dmax, don't want a 6.5, so the 7.3 is my choice.

So, for around $1k, I can be close to 300 rwhp? What kind of mpg will these things get at that power level? How about after injectors?

I'm not looking for an all out drag racer or puller, just an everyday driver with extra kick, and something to tow a 8k lbs trailer that little bit better. Thanks.

Biggest bang for the buck is a flip chip, after that it gets really expensive.

my 95 gets about 11-22 mpg with 4.10's depending how heavy my foot is, i've even got 24 once. current mods are beans stage 1's-$875, afe-$340, ts 4position with custom burns-$20 I got a little bit of a deal on it :rockwoot: and i got a downpipe but you should do a 4in off the turbo and southbend con fe 550hp-$1000. Haven't dynoed but friend dynoed 329hp with same mods. Another friend with an 02 dynoed 396hp with same mods as mine except for beans stage2's($1550) and a GTp38($?). Check the manufactor date after 10/00 they have the PMR's:badidea: instead of forged rods and they're only good for about 400hp, sorry for bein so long winded hope this helped you out some.

Last edited:
you can buy my truck its a little more than you want but for 16k it can be yours it just put 469hp and 950tq

hrmmm, thats not bad for all the mods

to the OP - you can do things little by little or by jumping on deals and do it for much cheaper -- I got my AFE stage 1 w/prefilter for $100 off of ebay and my 4" turbo back exhaust for $300 delivered -- then add a 4 or 6 position chip for $350 and the truck goes pretty good. Definately much more pep!

As for HP, I haven't dyno'd it yet, so can't really tell you what its running. But remember, you'll need the guages to monitor it, so about $1000 and you're running well -- then can save up for big fuel/big oil/big air or a fuel system... the options are endless, same as with any truck I think!

i just run a predator with a straight pipe and my 02 6 speed with 3.73 which put down 314.5 hp and 725tq

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies so far. I'm still searching for a truck, and not really having much luck. The more I think about it, the less I want big power out of the truck. I know, that slope gets slippery just thinking about mods, but I've had fun with the 12 valve, love the power, but am ready to get practical with this next truck. Time will tell, and hopefully I can find a truck in the near future.

Randy, thanks for the offer, as you know from the PM, can't take it. Sounds like an excellent truck tho.

Back