460 ZF5 with 500hp 12v Cummins Questions

jcarrick

Hey guys,

Im new here and i have a few questions. I just sold my 1973 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4 with a 2nd gen 12v, nv4500, and 241 dld. Now i am building a 1997 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4. The truck currently has a 460 and zf5 speed. Im question is, would the zf5 hold up to a cummins with around 500hp and 1000ft/lb? This is not a going to be race truck or a sled puller, but i want reliability and power for towing and daily driving. Is the zf5 good for the job or is it worth swapping in a nv4500?

Thanks!!

-Jon

It'll hold 500. Might have issues with the clutch arm with a heavy enough clutch to hold 500 though.

Good to know. I was gonna look into getting a valair clutch for it or call southbend and get one from them. You dont think i have to worry about blowing up the aluminum case on the zf5?

I like valair better, at least for a ZF.

And there's people puttin far more than 500 HP through ZF5's... I know there's a difference in the gas vs diesel model, but as far as I know that difference is only the gear ratio's...

You might look up those ratio's though, and make sure you'll be where you need to be with them.