464 vs 364 for twins?

kamdsl

CAT tech
I'm not the most up to date on turbos and have some questions for those more knowledgeable...

I currently have a super b special (64/71/14) and am planning on going to compounds to support my 100% + dual pumps. Would it be better to use the current turbo as the secondary with an 80 or 82? Or sell the special and move into a 464 secondary for the added flow potential? Don't know if the 400 frame would lag a bunch worse than the special...?

Other option, sell the special and start fresh, what would work better if at all and support the fuel I have? I prefer to do things once and right, so anyone that has any knowledge or experience to offer would be great!

The s464 will have alot of lag, I went from a s366 to an s464 and it was a huge difference. Made more power with the s400 but was alot slower to spool. It wouldn't be a street friendly option.

I daily drive a s464 and tow with it. I personally don't think it's all too bad, and I'm planning on compounding it soon.

I daily drive a 465 and tow with it, previously I ran a b special. The 465 makes more power but it gives up the bottom end for it. You learn to drive around it but it is slower to respond than a 330 frame charger. Elevation will effect this quite a bit as well, at 5000 feet and high temps my 465 is a turd.

Well thanks for the replies, guess that rules out the 464 for me. For what I do and the way my truck is set up (tight convertor which I like) I can not deal with much more lag.

So in saying that, would it be better to start with a different secondary all together, or just use the special and add a primary in the 80 mm range?

Would an 80 or 82 primary keep the 100% overs cool?

Thanks!

Well thanks for the replies, guess that rules out the 464 for me. For what I do and the way my truck is set up (tight convertor which I like) I can not deal with much more lag.

So in saying that, would it be better to start with a different secondary all together, or just use the special and add a primary in the 80 mm range?

Would an 80 or 82 primary keep the 100% overs cool?

Thanks!

Just add bd's primary for there r850 twin kit.. Its a superb special and a custom 475... Its what i have...and if you think thats not big enough, they have the r1000's, a special over a custom 82mm..

Last edited:
Thanks mulisha, I was looking into that route also. The r1000 looks to be about what I want, but the price is outrageous for just the upgrade alone...

Thanks mulisha, I was looking into that route also. The r1000 looks to be about what I want, but the price is outrageous for just the upgrade alone...

Yeh it is sick... A box 480 would be fine..

Any suggestions for budget priced twin piping kits, and a place to get the 480?