47>48re

If you're putting it in a 3rd gen truck, then no because the electronics are different. If it's going in a 2nd gen truck you can put the 48 hard parts into the 47 case for a stronger tranny. Clear as mud, right?

I guess what my question is i can get a 47re core easier and cheaper can I gut and build it as a 48 ( 48 VB, and internals) these 48's are harder than gold to find as cores.

What's your location? Check around the Houston area.

I'm in VA..

Call Tim from TRE Diesel, he may be able to help you. As for the difference, is your truck cable or acctuator? If you have an 03-04 truck with the apps sensor mounted on the motor you can swap over a complete 47RE with no problems for the most part other than the cable for the gear select and yes the electronics are the same. The major difference is with the 04.5 and up 600 seires truck with the acctuator on the side. In that case, yes the case is different since it is provisioned for the acctuator to bolt up.

Other differences between the 47 and 48:
The transmission case itself it thicker on the 48.
Six pinion front and rear planet on the 48 versus 5 fwd and 4 rear on the 47
Thicker sunshell on the 48...about 55 thousands
Different VB design offering higher boost line pressures
Direct drum is a different design offering 5 frictions vs four for the 47

They (Chrysler) also went with a 23 single side direct overdrive clutch but reverted back to the 10 dual side clutch used in the 47

Also...heavier or bigger is not always better. The internals on the 48 are MUCH heavier. Usually when the intermediate brakes it will wipe out the entire transmission versus the lighter components of the 47.

Richard

Call Tim from TRE Diesel, he may be able to help you. As for the difference, is your truck cable or acctuator? If you have an 03-04 truck with the apps sensor mounted on the motor you can swap over a complete 47RE with no problems for the most part other than the cable for the gear select and yes the electronics are the same. The major difference is with the 04.5 and up 600 seires truck with the acctuator on the side. In that case, yes the case is different since it is provisioned for the acctuator to bolt up.

Other differences between the 47 and 48:
The transmission case itself it thicker on the 48.
Six pinion front and rear planet on the 48 versus 5 fwd and 4 rear on the 47
Thicker sunshell on the 48...about 55 thousands
Different VB design offering higher boost line pressures
Direct drum is a different design offering 5 frictions vs four for the 47

They (Chrysler) also went with a 23 single side direct overdrive clutch but reverted back to the 10 dual side clutch used in the 47

Also...heavier or bigger is not always better. The internals on the 48 are MUCH heavier. Usually when the intermediate brakes it will wipe out the entire transmission versus the lighter components of the 47.

Richard

Thicker case? First I heard of that. Where is it thicker at?

PATC I think makes a plate that bolts on two of the OD bolts that will hold the TV motor. Also one other difference is the PRNDL switch. I think the 48RE has a 3/4" NPT and the 47RE has a 1/2" NPT.

I saw the T.V. motor bracket . I'm mostly double checking that if I do find a core I can swap in 48re parts into 47re case.

Thicker case? First I heard of that. Where is it thicker at?

PATC I think makes a plate that bolts on two of the OD bolts that will hold the TV motor. Also one other difference is the PRNDL switch. I think the 48RE has a 3/4" NPT and the 47RE has a 1/2" NPT.

Yes.. the acctual transmission case was desinged to be thicker and add rigidity to the transmission. 48 cases weigh a bit more than 47 cases. what are the acctual differences I have no idea but back in 2002 when the 48 re was released for 03 that was one of its design features, now how true...I dont know. I can only tell you there is a difference in case weight, the front half only since OD units change between 2 and 4 wd.

I had forgoten about the nuetral swith but they can be change out with an adapter like you said.

Richard

The reason I question the case differences is there wasn't any significant changes as they still ran the case on the same machining line. Even if the 48RE case was thicker, you really don't hear of a case failure on the 47RE. I have some at the house I will look and see. They may have decided to leave more flashing and do less machining to save some tooling costs.

The reason I question the case differences is there wasn't any significant changes as they still ran the case on the same machining line. Even if the 48RE case was thicker, you really don't hear of a case failure on the 47RE. I have some at the house I will look and see. They may have decided to leave more flashing and do less machining to save some tooling costs.

Very well could be...I could be wrong too as the last time I read the specs for the 48's was 6 years ago. There is a bit of weight difference between the cases empty of course. It could also be they changed the formula for the aluminum casting too. Either way, the 47's are just as good as the 48 from my perspective with the exception that I like the 48 VB better.

BTW, I did have a friend of mine that lost an intermediate shaft on a 48 while racing someone and when that shaft let go, so did the case! The case had a crack running from the top middle of the case along the spine to the gear selector lever. I will say that the OD unit and the pump were the only good parts left....I have to dig up the pictures. Needless to say I just bought a core and rebuilt it, his old tranny went to the recyclers.

Very well could be...I could be wrong too as the last time I read the specs for the 48's was 6 years ago. There is a bit of weight difference between the cases empty of course. It could also be they changed the formula for the aluminum casting too. Either way, the 47's are just as good as the 48 from my perspective with the exception that I like the 48 VB better.

BTW, I did have a friend of mine that lost an intermediate shaft on a 48 while racing someone and when that shaft let go, so did the case! The case had a crack running from the top middle of the case along the spine to the gear selector lever. I will say that the OD unit and the pump were the only good parts left....I have to dig up the pictures. Needless to say I just bought a core and rebuilt it, his old tranny went to the recyclers.

Where did you find a core 48?

Where did you find a core 48?

I buy them off forum members or from used transmission parts distributors. 48 cores have always been a pain to find and get and I have paid close to 1000 for a core. I buy them as soon as I find one.

I had a 47RE (small case '98) converted to a 48RE back in 2005...

different tranny - what about swapping a built '05 48RE into a '98 - any electronic issues?

I had a 47RE (small case '98) converted to a 48RE back in 2005...

different tranny - what about swapping a built '05 48RE into a '98 - any electronic issues?

All the electronics are the same from 2000 and up as far as the VB soleniod pack and its connections. Only the neutral switch and the and the rooster comb (leaver that actuates the TV valve) are different in that the lever is about .200 to .250 longer for the TVVA on the 05 and up but not an issue for TV cable trucks. I have to see but there might be a small issue with the shift lever beteen the trucks and how they mount. The older 2nd gen trucks have a rod and lever assembly and the 3rd gen are cable and right now my brain iis mush!

Can't an '06 VB fit in 2000 and up 47 case? just trying to gather as nuch info before I start this project I've already settled on who I'll get the T.Q./ VB from (Garmon/ Phil). I want to take my time build this transmission, and not be rushed by pulling what's in the truck now. The parts I've gathered eo far are:
Laminated flexplate
Raybestos clutch packs
new steels
raybestos kevlar kickdown bands
new bushings
upgraded zero leak servos and accumulator
Should I change from thrust washers to torrington bearings ?
opie input

Can't an '06 VB fit in 2000 and up 47 case? just trying to gather as nuch info before I start this project I've already settled on who I'll get the T.Q./ VB from (Garmon/ Phil). I want to take my time build this transmission, and not be rushed by pulling what's in the truck now. The parts I've gathered eo far are:
Laminated flexplate
Raybestos clutch packs
new steels
raybestos kevlar kickdown bands
new bushings
upgraded zero leak servos and accumulator
Should I change from thrust washers to torrington bearings ?
opie input

Yes it will...from the outside, 47 and 48 VB's look the same. The diffrences are internal.

Back