47 RE TC strange issue

Ghostman

24v crazy
Has a strange blip on the TC. It will only do it one time after shifting into third and locking up around 35-40 will the quickly unlock-lock and then it's fine unless you go back down to second or first and start coming up again. On moderate pedal it's noticeable the easiest. As far as we know it's a stock rebuild 47re. 2002 cummins.

Right at the end of the video you can see it.
http://youtu.be/hTdUwSWsGLE

http://youtu.be/Bi4iVNUSsus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas guys? I'm off and home alone this weekend so a good opportunity for me to check it out if I get some ideas.

I would say the usual apps noise issue. Mine will act that way at times. Can you lock the TC manually and get rid if it? Not to say that that is the way to fix the problem but it's a good way to see if it's the Lockup solenoid cycling.

I would say the usual apps noise issue. Mine will act that way at times. Can you lock the TC manually and get rid if it? Not to say that that is the way to fix the problem but it's a good way to see if it's the Lockup solenoid cycling.

We did have some APPS noise issues and it was worse like it would lock/unlock every 10-15 seconds but got that fixed. It turned out to be the alternator. We haven't yet put a manual lock up switch on it but thinking about it to try that.

Well I drove it around with the o/d off button pushed so no o/d and it's not doing what it was doing. So now that makes me think it's blipping into o/d and out.

Hmmmm ideas?

Yes we did have alternator noise on a brand new alternator. Took care of that though and put the old one back on for now even though it squeaks a little. No more noise.

If it was slipping in/out of OD, it'd be extremely noticable. Almost scary. And to my knowledge it won't shift out of OD if TC is locked.

Yes, it would be scary IF the TC was locked. It should lock in 3rd, but you should be able to tell what it's jumping out of by the mph and rpm

It's not slipping in o/d. It's like it shifts to it real quick and back out for some reason.

They are barely any like 0.27 I think last I checked.

They are barely any like 0.27 I think last I checked.

That's a fail.... Normal good alternator is 0.01 to 0.02 AC Volts. Anything over 0.1 volts is a automatic failed alternator.

You might want to go back and re-read my article about alternator AC noise posted above.

That's a fail.... Normal good alternator is 0.01 to 0.02 AC Volts. Anything over 0.1 volts is a automatic failed alternator.

You might want to go back and re-read my article about alternator AC noise posted above.

Yeah sorry I meant 0.027. Yeah I've read your article a couple times, good stuff. It's hard to find a alternator without AC noise though. I already wasted $100 on one new alternator.

Well, do the usual unplug the alternator plug & pull the charging fuse to ensure that it is not the alternator noise. If the alternator is squealing, that is showing it's wear. Might be worn brushes making noise, too.

Ed

Last edited:
Well, do the usual unplug the alternator plug & pull the charging fuse to ensure that it is not the alternator noise. If the alternator is squealing, that is showing it's wear. Might be worn brushes making noise, too.

Ed

Absolutely.. Best way of verifying the noise is ditch the alternator.

Ed

Ed - do you need to pul the fuse ??
I just thought you needed to remove the field wire from back of the alternator.

The reason for pulling the fuse or disconnecting the cable, is to completely remove it from the system. There was a case of noisy brushes creating enough noise to cause problems after the plug was removed.

Ed