47 rh detailed budget upgrade info needed

Mic

What's up guys. This is my first post, but iv been doing days of reading about 47 rh mods. I know there has been endless posts on this, but at thid point I'm overwhelmed with all the info and most of the posts are older and links are dead.

So a litte background. I bought a project 95 12 valve off my friend. It's going to be a slow build up, but I'd like to start with the trans first. Now this truck might see the track a few times, and I'm not looking to make tons of hp. I'm trying to do a safe budget build for 400-500hp tops. The truck will mainly be a quad hauler and my day to day.

Here's what iv read and want to do:

The added steels and frictions. Now I need to know part numbers and where/what to buy. Stock friction material ok? I know Bigblue has posted these things, but all the links were older and not working anymore.

Stock hub/basket/piston mods? 48 re parts?

A quality shift kit. Now is there a big difference with the transgo and Dtt?

Billit Servos, anchor, lever, stock or performance bands. what ones and what brands.

A quality cheap single billit torque converter

Flexplate? Does anyone make a modified stock one?

I think that's about it. Like I said I'm on a budget and can do all the work myself. I really like the OE mods and that's what I'm looking to do. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!

-Billet flexplate
-Billet Input (not necessarily needed but is good insurance)
-TC From Phil at DPC
-Valve Body or Shift kit (Firepunk)
-Reduild kit (Suncoast, Firepunk, etc)
-Billet strut, anchor and apply lever
That should hold the power your looking to make confidently. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
In my opinion, get a triple disk converter for the added insurance. Not a huge price difference going from single to triple disk.

Thanks for the info. But I was trying to just do the thinner steels etc. more of a budget type build.

I'm very happy with mine. Stock rebuild, Goerend TC and VB, billet input and billet anchor.

I use the Green High energy alto clutches in a lot of builds, you can get a whole rebuild kit with both bands for around $220, buy the extra clutches,steels, and pressure plates to add clutches will put you up to around $280. Now buy what ever billet parts you want to add/ can afford, a good billet single disc, and a shift kit and you can have a pretty good trans for around $1000 in parts. I would recommend going with a triple disc and billet input shaft.

TC.
Valve body.
Rebuild kit.
*Input, anchors, etc. for your goal, not remotely necessary. I understand the budget thing.

I use the Green High energy alto clutches in a lot of builds, you can get a whole rebuild kit with both bands for around $220, buy the extra clutches,steels, and pressure plates to add clutches will put you up to around $280. Now buy what ever billet parts you want to add/ can afford, a good billet single disc, and a shift kit and you can have a pretty good trans for around $1000 in parts. I would recommend going with a triple disc and billet input shaft.
I'm lucky I just need a clutch. Lol. But $1000 ain't bad.
Wouldn't a Triple Disc be a little too much for 400-500 tops? Considering how much torque those things are meant to withstand.

Last edited:
I believe Phil Taylor told me 500HP is border line for a good single disc tc if its going to be abused regularly.

I believe Phil Taylor told me 500HP is border line for a good single disc tc if its going to be abused regularly.

Agreed ^^ Anything over 400 and he will try talking you into a triple. A single will hold if you think 400 is going to be the max and you can always upgrade to a triple later once plans change.

Is dual not an option? I just really think triple is overkill for nothing over 500.

Last edited:
I use Phil for all my converters, if it is just a stock rebuild I will use his reman single, if it's any kind of performace, I use a triple, just set the lock up soft in the valve body if not using a billet input.

Agreed ^^ Anything over 400 and he will try talking you into a triple. A single will hold if you think 400 is going to be the max and you can always upgrade to a triple later once plans change.

A stock 48re TQ can handle that. Single disc will probably work a ways past that and probably lock up hard enough to snap a stock input shaft if you've got VB work. A triple will cost you a pretty penny, but drives just like stock IMO. Just bight the bullet.

triple disc billet TC
billet input
someone's VB (which I thought normally came with a billet anchor)
and then up your clutch count with better clutches and band.
New seals.

You'll be probably closer to $2500, but it'll work right, and be reliable to beat on at that point.

Heavy towing is what kills most billet singles. Set line pressure to the high side compared to a stock rebuild (160-180psi) and they will hold up to some abuse. WOT runs arent really what hurts them if your under 500hp because you are also seeing full line pressure when your doing that. Lighter throttle and lots of load(towing) is what normally does it.

If you're trying to stay on a budget i would go with a 6.7 flexplate, they're a lot more stout than the stock 5.9 flexplate. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 12v crank and common rail cranks though so you may want to look into it a little more first, but ive been running one in my truck for a while now and no problems yet.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the info guys. Now where do I buy the extra clutches and thinner steels? I'll defiantly look into the 6.7 flywheel option.

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Now where do I buy the extra clutches and thinner steels? I'll defiantly look into the 6.7 flywheel option.

You can buy any of the extra clutches and steels you need from any reputable distributor. Try PATC.com

Last edited:
PATC is an amazing source for just about any tranny part

Do you guys know the steel sizes? What about drum modification?