47RE Filter Question

biggy238

Would it be possible to remove the stock filter and place a spin filter base and filter in the cooler lines? My lack of knowledge of the hydraulic system in these transmissions prevents me from answering the question.

The best answer I've tried in my mind is that in the situation there would be no filter ahead of the pump, a hydraulic no-no. It just seems to me there would be a better solution for filtration.

Not a good idea IMHO. Among other things, the cooler circuit lubes the back half of the transmission.

What's your motive behind wanting to do this anyway? IMHO a filter setup like this will not extend the life of the transmission or anything anyway so it is a waste.

I wouldn't do it, invest in a pan with a drain plug. You can drop the pan if the fluid looks good, reuse it and change the filter. Of course if the fluid has 20K+ on it I would just change it.

Oh I have the deep pan with a plug, and i've never re-used fluid. I think it would make things easier to have an external filter to crank off and change and only have to put the drain plug back in.

Mondtster: you're saying that a restriction to that circuit is a threat then?

Oh I have the deep pan with a plug, and i've never re-used fluid. I think it would make things easier to have an external filter to crank off and change and only have to put the drain plug back in.

If your dropping the pan, then changing the filter is simple. I have reused my fluid several times, of course it was when I was making adjustments to the tranny and the fluid had less than 1000 miles on it. I always put it in a new filter though.

I dunno. I think dropping the pan and having fluid drip on me is a pain in the ass. I'm a diesel tech and I still don't like it. I like that kit he posted. I'll keep washing off for $200 though.... (and yes, i know it's not a replacement)

Considering that a filter's job is to ultimately plug itself up, yes.

I've fixed a few of these trannys that I believe had issues caused by a restricted cooler circuit.

My personal opinion is that anything more than a screen on the pickup really isn't necessary.

I should have said any restriction, not just A restriction. A mild filter restriction.

I still don't think it is a good idea to put more of a restriction in that line. People have done it however, and I'm sure they say it works fine, but how many of those people have actually torn down their transmission when it failed to make an assessment on what (if any) damage was done by having it there? I saw in another thread around here where someone said Goerend didn't recommend it either. That should tell you something.

Whatever you choose, you're still probably going to want some sort of screen on the pickup in the pan. I think you're going to suck air if you don't have anything on it.

I put a 10 micron high flow hydraulic filter in the cooler return line on my '04...never had an issue in 50k, Just be sure to get a high flow filter and you must still run a filter in the pan.

I put a 10 micron high flow hydraulic filter in the cooler return line on my '04...never had an issue in 50k, Just be sure to get a high flow filter and you must still run a filter in the pan.

I'm not going to run it. What you said agrees with my hydraulics training.
It sounds like the risk outweighs the benefeit.

Back