47RE help needed, acting strange

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
OK, this is going to be an odd, probably long confusing time here so please bare with me on this. My brother is on his way back from reserve duty in Cheyenne and just called me from about 100 miles out. He said while cruising along at 75-80mph things are fine until he starts up a hill. Not every time, but three times now the truck will downshift into drive, which at those speeds means 3,500+ RPMS (stock GSK, so it just slows down quick)

There is no reason at all for the transmission to downshift at those speeds, at the worst it should unlock the converter. I told him to push my switch that locks up the TC and try it again. Even with the TC locked it still downshifts and screams the engine.

Right now he's slowed down to 65mph and it hasn't happened since, and the truck will be home in about an hour and a half (hopefully)

Any ideas of where to start looking for the problem? I'm about a half a second away from trading the damn thing in on a 3rd gen W/ 6 speed and b done with it, but I sure love my 12V (12V sticks have proven to b near impossible to find around here)

So, again, someone care to hook a brotha up so to speak? I need any and all inputs on how to fix this wretched thing because we go on vacation in two weeks and I need it to be working fine by then.

Thanks a ton,
George

I have the similar problem, my tranny will feel like it is downshifting and won't pick up speed, usually happens for me after 3rd gear before it shifts into 4th, then OD. but if I do let off the throttle just a hair the trans. will let me shift...I have noticed over 1/2 mile + times before the trans. will shift properly. It will do the same as what your experiencing while going up hills. I talked to a few transmission. places, its not downshifting, but unlocking and locking the TC. mine does it every time I drive it. and I am moving from Illinois to Wyoming in 2 weeks, so I also know your concerns for traveling.

one person I did talk to, said to try taking the truck to a dealer and having the computer "reflashed", supposedly a $40 possible fix. I'm having that done the on March 22nd., so I'll let you know if it helps. I also just also ordered a SunCoast Rewire Kit, for $48. Go to SunCoastConverters.com and check it out. It's under the Electronics option. I'll also see if that works too.

you said something about a switch? what is it that you have?? BD-Tor-Loc?

or just go out and either get a trans. from ATS, SunCoast, or an HTS built one!!! but that way ain't cheap.

Last edited:
if yours hangs up unless you let off the pedal alittle sounds like you may have a blown seal maybe not possitive mine did that once with my stock tranny but it was 3rd that would hang unless I lifted my foot some then it would shift and be fine took in to a shop and I had blown seal and a bad solinoid in the trans.

KingS, that sounds like what my problem is for sure. how much was that to replace?

Last edited:
Welcome in advance to Wyoming. I have not been able to duplicate the problem again. It did it that one trip and try my hardest it simply will not do it again. My switch is wired as per the instructions I got from Bill at Dunrite converters and works great.

I really doubt the TC is unlocking and letting it rev to 3500+rpms though as it's a much tighter converter than that :)

I guess I'll just keep driving it until it does it again and go from there.

George

gstanfield said:
Welcome in advance to Wyoming. I have not been able to duplicate the problem again. It did it that one trip and try my hardest it simply will not do it again. My switch is wired as per the instructions I got from Bill at Dunrite converters and works great.

I really doubt the TC is unlocking and letting it rev to 3500+rpms though as it's a much tighter converter than that :)

I guess I'll just keep driving it until it does it again and go from there.

George

Thanks for the welcome. I noticed your location says Cheyenne, I'll be over in Laramie. I'll see how the drive is out there, to see if my trans. does that. I have not tested it on the interstates will steep hills. just flat highways out here in Illinois! haha. goodluck trying to figure it out! 3500 rpms seems quite high, stock gsk?, my truck runs at about 21-2300 rpms at 80 mph.

Umm, read closer I'm in Casper:poke:

:) Stock GSK, it wasn't continuing to turn those RPMs it just downshifted and rapped out and as soon as it did it my brother (who was driving back from Cheyenne) let of the throttle and it went back into OD. What is taking you to Laramie? I lived there for a year myself.

Drop me a line when you get out here, we have a few things going on in this state that may interest you.

George

gstanfield said:
Umm, read closer I'm in Casper:poke:

:) Stock GSK, it wasn't continuing to turn those RPMs it just downshifted and rapped out and as soon as it did it my brother (who was driving back from Cheyenne) let of the throttle and it went back into OD. What is taking you to Laramie? I lived there for a year myself.

Drop me a line when you get out here, we have a few things going on in this state that may interest you.

George

haha, ya I read where you brother was coming from. close enough. :doh:

I'll be attending Wyotech for school, April 2nd. Ya I will be looking for stuff to do out there, that's for sure. So I'll let you know when I get there. Thanks!!!

Mark

Sure thing. What classes are you takin Mark? I went to WYotech in '97-'98 and took collision/refinishing/custom paint/street rod building/upholstery

George

Applied Service Management Course along with Diesel Mechanics. I really liked all their performance and interior courses too. Who knows maybe I'll take those sometime..

so how'd you fit all that it from 97-98??? pheww that's awesome though. It should be really nice out there. I already got me a job part-time out there at a 2800+ acre ranch 20 min. from Laramie, which is actually owned by a family from the same town I live in here in Illinois. So I'm pretty excited for it all.