47re problems.. imagine that!

215cummins

My buddy just bought a 99 with 106k on it for 3k. The paint looks like chit, and its a mess. Anyway he calls me up saying his truck starts out in third when he puts in drive. It wont down shift into second, first, or go into overdrive. Reverse is fine and if he manually goes 1-2-drive it shifts into third but then kills the truck. He's replaced the speed sensor and Gov pressure solenoids and pressure solenoids. He hasn't replaced the overdrive or lock up solenoids yet. Any Ideas? He also Has a Raptor Fuel Pump on it which keeps eating solenoids kind of looking for ideas on that too.. Im not very good with auto's so any advice would be awesome.

Last edited:
Killing the engine when it shifts to 3rd has me puzzled, but taking off in 3rd and working fine manually kinda sounds like the low/rev sprag isn't holding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the fuel pump keeps kicking out and it emptys the bowl by the time he really starts messing with it. He said he had the fuel pump fixed now he's just trying to figure out what's going on with his trans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

But I don't think it would shift manually if the PCM was bad

yes it does I plenty go bad on me I have owned over 30 2nd gen trucks I have seen a lot and still learning

Last edited:
pcm usually goes in limp mode ,and I have not found nobody yet to fix them I have about 8 sitting around

Easy way to tell check for 12 volts at the trans .. Check at relay or just jumper the relay

Back