47re problems

Silver Smoker

Ok so I parked my 99 3/4 ton for a day and when I got in it the next day it was shifting really funny and had no o/d the specs on the tranny are triple disc converter billet shafts new clutches and bands and a shift kit done probably 20k ago any help is greatly appreciated.

Really erratic shifts sometimes to late or sometimes to soon. But when it shifts it shifts hard . Checked fluid level it's within the margins . Still no o/d

It would help to have a little more info on it. Is it going into limp like trying to start in second or third, stacking shifts, hanging shifts etc... Have you or can you put a gauge on it and see what it's really doing. I would be suspect of the electronics (gov solenoid and transducer).
Sean

I agree with sstockton need more info but my 01 did the same before replace pressure transducer

Are you still getting lockup? Any codes? TPS voltage at different throttle positions? Tried shifting manually?

Thanks for all the responses . Manually shifting doesn't help and if by hanging up on shifts you mean it takes forever to shift yes sometimes . And dang I hope it's not the solenoid they where just replaced lol. I'm gonna hook a computer up to it today and see what kind of readings Im getting . Its throwing a speed sensor code and the converter clutch solenoid code.. just weird how it was fine when I parked it .

Just changed speed sensor tonight.. didn't change a thing , also cleaned the battery connections no changes .

Is there any noticeable pattern to it yet? Which gears are slow to shift and which shift normal? Are they all really slow is it consistent or always different? Determining what is really going on will narrow it down quite a bit. Really eratic problems are generally electronic and rarely a mechanical issue. I've even seen a crank sensor on a 12v with 47re cause erratic issues. Also I've had the transducer cause some issues.

Who built the trans, at this point I really couldn't rule out a leaking accumulator either. A pressure gauge and multimeter will be your best friend at this point.
Sean

A transmission shop here in town built it. And they are all real slow to shift . Gotta run the rpms up to about 2800 and let out of it and on the way back down it will fall into the next gear sometimes you have todo that a couple times and I'm gonna hook a scan tool up to it tomorrow and take it out for a drive and see if the tps is doing anything . This 47re is really getting to me . Overtime I get the truck running good there is always something wrong with the tranny.

Once you get them dialed in they are a really solid trans. Are the shifts firm or soft? I am thinking you don't have enough pressure. The sudden onset is hard to explain though.
Sean

No Townsend transmission built it . He is a great guy to work with . And they seem soft which may be caused from not being on the throttle when it shifts because you have to let the rpms fall .