47RE Tail section

The Legend

Diesel power for the mind
I am lookin to buy a good used tail section housing for a 47RE trans if anyone has one ?

IIRC, can't you use the V-8 GAS tranny units and upgrade the clutches in the O/D using new diesel/V-10 pieces?
This opens up a few other resources for overdrive stuff.

I know the casting number on the case is the same for each style of trans (46/47rh and 47re, 2wd, 4wd), be it V-8, V-10 or diesel.
I also recall that the RE and RH extensions don't interchange beyond their respective main cases, IE: RH won't interchange onto an RE main case.

Mark.

IIRC, can't you use the V-8 GAS tranny units and upgrade the clutches in the O/D using new diesel/V-10 pieces?
This opens up a few other resources for overdrive stuff.

I know the casting number on the case is the same for each style of trans (46/47rh and 47re, 2wd, 4wd), be it V-8, V-10 or diesel.
I also recall that the RE and RH extensions don't interchange beyond their respective main cases, IE: RH won't interchange onto an RE main case.

Mark.

I don't know if the tailhousings are the same or not, but the same casting number doesn't mean it was machined the same.

I know several local tranny shops have indicated that the CASTING is in fact the same on the overdrive, between V-8 gas and diesel but they don't specifically tell me WHAT is different in the clutches and steels, or other components within.

It may well be that they have never compared, or won't give out "secrets".

Mark.

Back