47re to np205 Questions

1stgenpullin

I have a full manual 47re and I'm using my np205 transfer case, the 23 spline coupler runs into the seal on the od housing, can I just remove that seal and just seal between the transfer case and the transmisson? Also there's a drain hole on the od housing how should I plug that since it would be filled with fluid?

There isn't a drain hole in the OD section, got a pic of where you mean?

As for the seal just knock it out and seal the flange with a bunch of rtv

Just use silicone to seal the transmission and tcase together and you wont loose fluid out of the OD drain area.

I had the opening where the seal is bored larger and used a larger seal. This was in an NV4500 tailhousing, not sure what option you have in an auto.

Its not even necessary to run a seal between an auto and NP205 tcase. They both run on ATF and doing so assures both parts get regular fluid changes if guidelines are followed.

Boring the case for a larger seal is a good idea on a manual transmission truck though to stop cross contamination.

And the NP205 should have two seals, back to back, on the transfer case's input shaft . . . . to keep the red out of the brown.
Does this even work? I thought you needed the newer transfer case and couldnt use a 205??

Does this even work? I thought you needed the newer transfer case and couldnt use a 205??
I'm assuming the OP is running his OEM NP205.

I suppose there are a number of variants of the NP205's input shaft housings otherwise.

In my mess, the NP205's input shaft's housing adapter is open to the tail section of the 46RH OD housing.

TransInThere.jpg

As such, it's flooded with the red stuff. The internally splined coupler is there.

(I don't have access to my 205 pics just now).

The 205's input shaft has two seals, installed back to back in the same bore, right there where the shaft inters the main case.

Actually, an OEM NP205 is a "double lip" seal, which is quite thick in the depth dimension.
It's really 2 lip seals in one thick casing.

I have a couple here I could snap a pic of some time.

Mark.

I'm assuming the OP is running his OEM NP205.

I suppose there are a number of variants of the NP205's input shaft housings otherwise.

In my mess, the NP205's input shaft's housing adapter is open to the tail section of the 46RH OD housing.

TransInThere.jpg

As such, it's flooded with the red stuff. The internally splined coupler is there.

(I don't have access to my 205 pics just now).

The 205's input shaft has two seals, installed back to back in the same bore, right there where the shaft inters the main case.

What else was needed to install the loc up trans ??? I'm torn on going thru doing a 5 or 6spd conversion- and I have a core 47RE 4wd trans sitting.

A loc up would be the upgrade from the 518 I have now.

What else was needed to install the loc up trans ??? I'm torn on going thru doing a 5 or 6spd conversion- and I have a core 47RE 4wd trans sitting.

A loc up would be the upgrade from the 518 I have now.
Others who've done that swap would have to chime in. My mess is a 46RH case, VB and input shaft (NON lockup) with 48RE guts otherwise.

Actually, an OEM NP205 is a "double lip" seal, which is quite thick in the depth dimension.

Mark.
Mine's literally two individual standard looking seals.

Part(s) #37:

d5702392.gif

I reckon the OP is talking about Part # 43 as far as sealing the cases of the trans and transfer.

Last edited:
I had to make a spacer for between the 47re and the np205. Other then that it was pretty straight forward.

Mark.

I have found this to be true.... I thought it was interesting that on the "internet" it has been known or said that we don't have a double lip seal. When we went through mine, mine took 1 double slip seal.

Is there a difference (1 vs 2) between the auto and man cases?