47RE transmission to G56 swap in 2002

Sephirothq

I am looking on what i need to swap a G56 in place of my 47Re in my 2002.

I got the transmission, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, hydraulics, and transfer case from a 2007.

Right now money is a bit tight so i am trying to use as many stock parts as possible to get the swap up and going. I will replace them with upgrades as money permits.

With using stock parts in mind i have the following questions. I used the search and it seems like there is alot of conflicting information so direct experience would be great.

I am looking for info on the following questions

Do i need a different adapter plate?

Do i need a different starter?

Do i need a different ECM?

I know I will need different drive shafts.

How about the cross member for the transmission?

I will post details on the swap and pictures as it goes.

From what I was able to find out on the following:

I may or may not need a different adapter plate. I am thinking that i will need a different adapter plate as it is a different part number and the back of the block should be the same from what i can find.

The starter will need to match the adapter plate that I am using. it looks like the common rail engines used the same starter between the NV5600 and the G56. So if i use a G56 adapter plate I should use a common rail starter. the 6.7 liter starter is different then the 5.9 liter starter or at least from parts numbers it is. the 2002 HO with the NV5600 uses the same starter as the 2006 G56.

The ECM shouldn't have to be changed, i will have a stored code but it shouldn't throw the engine into a limp mode. I will have to do more research into this

I am not sure about the speed pickup as I don't know the transfer case that i got. it might be a 273 or a 271 i will have to take a look when i pick up the stuff this weekend.

I will have to make my own cross member from my existing one.

I got some advice about using a 2nd gen adapter with the G56 transmission if i use a different clutch and flywheel. i was going to see about using the stock setup provided so i might get a a different starter it would be cheaper.

If anyone has any parts that would help in the swap i think i will need the following:

From what i can find i will need the following:
adapter plate from engine to trans
bolts, for the flywheel, bolts for clutch pressure plate, adapter plate bolts, transmission bolts, starter bolts, transfer case bolts
starter

pig tails for electric from transmission and transfer case
i can pick up the parts.

Dont really have any imput, just along to follow the thread. Keep us posted.

Right now i will be picking up the transmission and other parts on Sunday.

I am not sure if the transfer case is a 273 or a 271. so i don;'t know if it is a mechanical linkage or electrical.

I still need a fair amount of parts
driveshaft yoke for the 271 / 273

that is part number
Output yoke part #5183084AA
about 70 from a dealer i am told

i have to have the drive shafts cut or extended as it goes.

i need an interior set for a 99-02,
pedals, map pocket, floor console, steering column plastics, rubber boots for the shifter and to seal the floor

i need the electrical connectors from the transfer case speed sensor, or at least that is where i think the speed sensor is.

i need the connectors for the reverse lights

I need bolts
millions of bolts
not really a million
but
flywheel, starter, clutch/pressure plate, adapter

I am pretty sure i need an engine adapter, flywheel spacer, starter spacer and a starter.

i need to either buy or find someone with a smarty programmer to reprogram the ecm. for the mean time i can cut and ground the middle wire from the transmission to keep the engine out of limp mode.

then i have to make a cross member for the transmission. i haven't found too many people with a G56 in a 2nd gen so i will probably have to figure this one out.

and other then making a linkage for the transfer case that is all i should need to do

I will take alot of pics as this goes, but it won't be over night.

trying to stay on a budget here.

I might be able to sell the stock 47re and the 241 t-case but i am not counting that money into the swap.

First gather all the parts then swap because i also need the truck as a daily driver. so taking the truck apart before i have everything i need would be a :badidea:

any advice or recommendations are :welcome:

Got the parts today to include:

transmission what should i look for a late or early one??
transfer case (271)
stock flywheel
stock clutch
stock pressure plate
hydraulic system sealed
fork throwout bearing x 2
clutch bolts, flywheel bolts, and a few others

will get pics tomorrow. it was a 10 trip.

Got pictures of the parts.
Can anyone help identify what i got here?

I took pictures of the data tag on the right side of the transmission but I am not sure if it is the early or late transmission as what gear ratio is it?

I think i have a flywheel spacer either in picture 1 or 2 and 3

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
more pics

not sure what this part is in pics 1 and 2
i have the data tag in 3
and 4 is some case markings

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
somewhere on the serial number will be an AD or an AE. AD is the older version with the 1:.79 overdrive and AE is the one with 1:.74 OD.

where is the serial number located?

I took a picture of the tag on the side of the transmission but i don't see either an ad or ae on it.

Gathering more parts
Since I am using the 271 transfer Case i need to get a different rear drive shaft Yoke. I found a drive shaft from a 2007 mega cab. I have a quad cab long bed truck, both use a two part drive shaft. I can get the other drive shaft cut, and setup for the truck while i am still using the truck.
the game plan is to gather all the parts first.

The next thing i am looking for is a transmission mount as the transmission I got did not come with one.

I am still looking for interior parts. I want to go to a junk yard to find some parts. I don't want to have to spend big $$$ for just a set of pedals. they are too common to be a high dollar part.

the other trim items are just cream right now. Still looking for them, but not necessary.

On the computer I am told that if i ground the middle wire from the three wire harness that runs to the transmission that everything should work fine. I won't have a clutch safety system until i replace the PCM and get the ECm reprogrammed.

Front drive shaft will have to be re done as well. I have a gas 1995 that i will check if i can use this instead. Again get all the parts together. If i can't i always can look for a substitute as the truck would work in 2wd.

need electrical connectors for the reverse lights and the clutch safety system. Probably will have to go to the dealer for those.

Still not 100% sure on which adapter plate to use. I have a dual mass flywheel that i was planning on using. From what i have found the problem comes in with too much power or too many miles. I have one that is supposed to have 22,000 miles. I want to get the 6 speed running before I try too much power.

That's it for now.

I gotta ask, why would you use a G56? They are hard to get parts for, cant handle much power reliably, and they are expensive. When you need a syncro you have to buy a $1500 main shaft assy, why not just use a 5600?

I got a G56 from a 2007 for $910.
this included:
the transmission
the transfer case
the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing assembly, fork
and the hydraulics.

From what i have seen the NV5600 would cost a lot more and internal parts are very hard to find. they are still making the G56.
Unless I am incorrect???

Yes they still make the G56 and there are actually two different versions, a G56 and a G56R. The G56R has a higher 6th gear, and they came with the 6.7s to try and help MPG. The regular G56 has a super low 6th gear, which puts a stock truck with 373s around 2400 rpm at 70mph... where the autos run 2000-2100. I get 13.5 MPG in my truck verses the same exact thing in an auto will do 17-18mpg.

They do not sell syncro rebuild kits for the G56, if you have a syncro go out you are looking at a complete main shaft assy that cost over $1500. A full rebuild is around 3-$4000 with bearing races, and syncros. They have aluminum cases that expand under high load, and explode. There are also no aftermarket parts available for them, like billet shafts and such.

It sounds to me like you got a smoking deal though. Most used G56s alone go for 1500-$2500.

I couldn't find an nv5600 for that price let alone with a transfer case.
I was told that the 2007 versions had the updated gear ratio. I took pictures of the tag but didn't see an ae or ad anywhere on it.

The truck that the transmission would be going into has 3.55 gears. I have a set of H2 tires and wheels that i was going to install. Those are a 35" tire that should give me a pretty good gear ratio for highway speeds.

It could have been a 07 5.9. The newer trucks can also have a 3.42 gear. Like I said, you got a smoking deal. Just hope you dont have to replace anything in it, put a good amount of power through it.

Also, the rear main bearing will wear prematurely if you don't add 1 quart of oil past the fill hole.

I wouldn't be worried about running a safety switch. Waste of money IMO. Ground the middle wire and be done with it. It should be AE or AD on the serial number, but as you said it's not on there. You'll just have to wait until you get it in there and use your tach to figure it out. Look on ebay for the pedals. There used to be sets going for around $100.

I am going to hunt some junkyards and see if I can't find a set of pedals. I really don't want to spend alot on something that should be a common part. Any manual, 2, or 4wd, any engine, from 94-02. Eight years worth there should be some out there.