47RE Wiring Harness Switch

Red Sleeper

Im looking into buying a BD transmission from someone that out of a 96-97 Cummins. Owner said it has close to 5000 miles on it. My question is can I swap over the wiring harnesss form my 47RE to this 47RE? Will this work? I have been talking to tow guys that build transmissions, and I trust both of them. One says tow different animals and the other says it will work. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in Advance.

Your 01 will have different electronics. You will need a different gov. solenoid, transducer, and transducer mounting bracket. However, you can just take all of these things from your current trans. Or they will cost you about 200 bucks for new ones.
Sean

Thats what I have come up with so far talkin to other people. What bout if its out of a 2wd truck, will it work with my 4x4? I was told the tail shaft is going to be too short.

I think the Gov solenoid is the same. Intermediates shafts are the same from 2wd to 4wd.

So worst case im lookin at swapin out VB and wiring. Im swappin VB for ease of running wires and havin places to hold them.

But other wise I should be good with bolting it up, wiring it all up, and driving?

If the BD doesn't have shafts in it, and your gonna swap VB's why not just use the tranny you have?

HUH? You have completely lost me. It doesn't have shafts? The reason im buying this trans is to get me by for a while cause I dont plan on keeping the truck forever. If I built the trans I have now I would spend right at $4500 on just parts for what I want. And I guess I wouldnt switch the VB, I just thought it might be easier as far as running wires but that the least of my concers right now.

Is your transmission shot? A good VB and torque convertor will handle quite a bit. If I understood what your doing your buying this BD trans, and then swapping another VB in it.

Yeah, don't swap the VB. Zstroken is right, the gov. solenoid is the same. I kinda forgot that one. But you will need a transducer, wire harness, and the bracket. If you have both transmissions there, it will be really easy to do. The output is going to be a little more difficult. You will have to switch the output shaft which means tearing the O/D apart. If you don't have a press, you'll need to have it done somewhere that does, as the o/d spring is 830lbs.
Sean

Yeah, don't swap the VB. Zstroken is right, the gov. solenoid is the same. I kinda forgot that one. But you will need a transducer, wire harness, and the bracket. If you have both transmissions there, it will be really easy to do. The output is going to be a little more difficult. You will have to switch the output shaft which means tearing the O/D apart. If you don't have a press, you'll need to have it done somewhere that does, as the o/d spring is 830lbs.
Sean

He won't have to swap the output shaft, he will have to unbolt the OD unit and swap them. No disassembly of the OD unit required.

He won't have to swap the output shaft, he will have to unbolt the OD unit and swap them. No disassembly of the OD unit required.

That's all that needs to be done to swap a trans from 2x4 to 4x4? Is that the same for the 47rh?

Is your transmission shot? A good VB and torque convertor will handle quite a bit. If I understood what your doing your buying this BD trans, and then swapping another VB in it.

No my trans is not shot. Converter is and the whole unit has 207k on origional everything! And im not swapping over the VB, I was considering it because of wireing purposes but I see that is no longer a problem.

The guy said its off a 4x4 truck. So swapping tail shafts is not a problem now. But if for some reason I still have to I know whats gonna have to be done.

With 5k miles? That would be pointless, thats why im wanting to buy this trans

That was based on the assumption that it was a 2wd trans. I hadn't caught the post about it being 4wd. If it were 2wd, I would've kept the fresh clutches and switched shafts vs. throwing on a completely different O/D unit that had 207k on the clutches and frictions. He may have upgraded counts in the front O/D clutch pack as well, which is even more of a gain.
Sean

That was based on the assumption that it was a 2wd trans. I hadn't caught the post about it being 4wd. If it were 2wd, I would've kept the fresh clutches and switched shafts vs. throwing on a completely different O/D unit that had 207k on the clutches and frictions. He may have upgraded counts in the front O/D clutch pack as well, which is even more of a gain.
Sean

Ohhh, ok. Your talkin bout fresh clutches in the OD clutch pack. I just caught on to that also...

Well im waiting for feed back form him and gonna call BD today, what yall think bout doing this? Am I wasting my time or is this a good move?

Thats pretty much what I did. I bought a low mileage DTT from a friend of mine that was parting his truck out. His was a 99 and mine was a 2000, so I had to change some wiring around. The trans worked fine until I lost a line at the factory trans cooler (not one of the clip fittings, but at the cooler itself) and nuked the trans. Then I went in and rebuilt it myself and its been running great since. Total including my rebuild I have less than 3500 into a full built trans with billet shafts, and now its really fresh too. I think its a pretty good way to go if the price is right.
Sean

Well thanks Sean, makes me feel better if someone else has done this. Now if I can remember im going to call BD tomorrow and find out whats all in this transmission. (shafts, servos, clutches, springs, etc...) And what converter is in it as well.

Back