47re wont go into drive sometimes

Extremesam

My trans. (47re) will not go into drive all the time and has getting worse, reverse is a hit everytime. If you let it sit in drive for a few mins. it will finally go into drive sometimes. When it does go into drive there is no slipping and lockup works all gears pull hard. It seems to go into drive better when it is warm say 150 deg.

Here is some history:
I was pulling a trailer and the trans. got really hot! I think it was around 250 deg. I finally found a place to stop and let it cool. After it cooled the trans. worked flawlessly for say 4 or 5 drive cycles.

Any help is greatly appricated.

Last edited:
Any ideas on what to check? I pulled the vb thinking I may find the regulator valve sticky or some junk binding it up. It really looked pretty good. Im really not sure what oil circuits change from reverse to drive or for that matter park to drive.

I think more than likely the Trans is coming out regardless. Once it's out I'd look at the seals and forward clutch assembly, and I would do it sooner rather than later do you don't end up buying a bunch more parts. If i still didn't see anything I'd replace all the seals in it and disassemble the whole forward clutch, looking for broken snap rings, plastic spacer, spring, etc.

I bet your forward clutch is wasted. Cooking those seals didn't make them any softer or better...

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master, L1, T2. Pretty much a Cummins fan, but I fix them all 50+ hours a week.

change out the governor pressure solenoid and maybe a noise isolation kit mine was hunting for o/d and didn't shift sometime and I spent months looking for the problem and that's what fixed mine and those parts are cheap solenoid was 20 bucks and the noise kit was 10

I have the same problem and it started a year ago. i put a 5 star torque converter in it and billet flexplate and ats towing valve body as well and it still does it my forward clutchs are fine i know this. so i changed the governor pressure solenoid and transducer and it still does it. reverse hits firm everytime drive take awhile i found puting it in reverse then back to drive real quick helps it go into drive faster than just putting in drive and waiting on it to engage. it dont like cold weater hotter the better i noticed as well. so if you find out the probelm please let me know. thank you and i will let you know if i find the issue.

Back