47RH / RE bolt-in sprags

gunslinger

Hi,

My 47RH busted a sprag and cracked a case few weeks ago. Tranny was rebuild 6 months ago with new sprags. Guy who repairs the transmission for me (again) suggested that I should look into bolt-in sprags as they should hold much better.

Is there bolt-in style sprags available for 47-transmissions, and are they generally used?

The race in the bottom of the case or the sprag itself? Personally don't see how the sprag itself would function bolted fast but maybe I am out of the loop.

Sorry, I'm not professional with these so I might mess up terms or somethings. IIRC He talked about "bolt in sprags" but it's possible of course that only the race is bolted to the case.

Anyway, I was talking about similar kit than this, but only for 47RH transmission.

yes as the race likes to spin in the case at higher power levels. I've seen a couple installed.

Mine is bolted. I bought the kit at transtar and installed it. Wasn't a terrible install, just have to pay attention to how you drill your bolt holes.

was someone out of Canada. I do not remember who now. been a couple years since I saw the box

Thanks to all of you. I'll have to send email to transtar as soon as I get to my computer. If you know / remember any other place where I could find a kit, please let me know!

believe this is how georend does theirs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 1.13.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 1.13.22 PM.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
Just a quick update here:
I got the bolt-in type sprag kit from A&A transmissions, and the price was really good. You should check them out, if you're looking for one too.

Another matter. Do you guys know what makes (and why) the outer race of the sprag spin around in the case? I have talked to several racing oriented people about this, and some haven't even heard that it is possible, and some install ultimate sprags in every transmission because they say it's so common.

I mainly would like to know how I can prevent this from happening again. Apparently I got the LAST 47RH case that exists here in Finland now, and oh boy it was expensive already. I REALLY don't want to look for another.

Probably because it is a steel race that is only staked into an aluminum case. Not much structure there.

Yeah, I understand that, but I would like to know the conditions when that happens. In what conditions does the drum try to spin against sprag (sprag doesn't allow the drum to spin), and and which conditions does it run in opposing direction, where it's spinning "freely" in the sprags.

Are there any situations that causes really high stress on the whole sprag assembly? I found few ancient forum posts about 727 and doing burnouts on first gear, but that didn't make me any wiser.