47rh swap in progress, couple questions

aer212

I'm in the process of swapping a 518 from a 92 and have some questions a I havn't found answers to. I swapped the throttle valve from the 518 to the 47rh but I'm wondering if the linkage deal that mounts to the frame and has the 3/8 rod that goes to the bracket with the rubber grommet that is mounted to the tranny, does that also have to be swapped from the 518 to the 47? Reason I ask is the 47 bracket is mounted with the grommet pointing up and the 518 bracket is mounted with the grommet pointing down. The other question is about the throttle cable. Someone said the first gen cable is a pull cable and the 47 is a push cable. What does that mean and what do I do about it? Which cable do I use and how do I make it work?

Finally got it all wrapped up today and lifted the back end up in the air to see if it worked before we took it outside. It does work but I cant find overdrive. When I put it in drive it doesnt shift by itself, seems to be starting in a higher gear and staying in. Then when I put it in 1st it goes into 1st, when I put it into 2nd it goes into 2nd and the same for third but like I said, no overdrive. For the overdrive I got the 3 wire plug wired to the original 2 wire plug, the bigger blue hot wire into the middle of the 3 wire plug and the wire to the front of the pickup on the 3 wire plug, to the other wire from the from the 2 wire plug in. So why am I not getting overdrive? Also on the torque convertor, do I just run a wire from one side of the pressure switch to the torque convertor ground on the 3 wire plug and from the other side of the pressure switch, just ground it to the frame? I really need some help, I have to be heading home from South Dakota to Washington state and I'm driving this pickup with overdrive or not and lockup or no.

Apply 12 volts to the center pin with key on. run the 2 outer pin wires into the cab install switches to ground and use his to test your transmission one switch will give you lockup and one will give you OD . if this works then go back and check the wires. Be careful if you leave the converter locked up and try to come to a stop it will break the flexplate. For extended use like this you may want to break the converter ground with a 5 pin relay when the brakes are applied. Rich

Last edited: