48re 2wd output shaft roller bearing

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
On my 03 with 428,000 miles. 2wd 48re.

Trans is a PATC I believe. Don't know since it was in there when I bought truck. Upon decel on hiway a horrible growling/ p/s pump whine noise comes from Trans area. If put in Neutral sounds goes away as you coast. It diesnt slip or shift any differant than normal Put it on the lift and let it get up to 30-35mph and the out put shaft will jump all around and growl extremly loud.

What is needed to replace this bearing? I've looked it up and couldn't find any write up. Just the bearing itself. I'm assuming a bearing, tail shaft housing gasket and output shaft gasket is all that needed? Never had to do this before.

I doubt you will find the case to OD gasket seperate from a whole soft kit. The kits are only $50-60.

You can pull the OD case off without pulling the trans, but i reccomend droping the vb. It will be much easier to put the OD housing back on when you dont have to fight with the parking rod at the same time.

Talked to a guy that builds Trans here in my town. Says he can get the bearing, gasket and new out put seal for $80. Doesn't seem like too hard a job. Thanks yall

Back