48re cracked overdrive housing options?

Demented Dan

Professional Idiot
Well like the title says I have a hair line crack in my overdrive housing of my 48re. What are my options other than replacing it? If there even is any other options. Will a housing from a 46re or a 47re work? Also is this the best time to add a billet output to my trans? Thanks in advance!

Its super easy to replace an overdrive housing. A 46 or 47re will work you just need to swap the parking rod as well if u do. There all over ebay. Once the od housing is off u just pull the clutch pack out that is held in with the flimsy little wire ring then remove the access plate on the top rear and spread the snap ring. the od internals will fall right out. U dont actually need to pull everything apart to swap a housing

Its super easy to replace an overdrive housing. A 46 or 47re will work you just need to swap the parking rod as well if u do. There all over ebay. Once the od housing is off u just pull the clutch pack out that is held in with the flimsy little wire ring then remove the access plate on the top rear and spread the snap ring. the od internals will fall right out. U dont actually need to pull everything apart to swap a housing

Awesome man I appreciate it! I believe the guy who built my trans has a 47re housing so hopefully I can get it fixed asap. Would it be a good time to put in a billet output since the housing will be off or does it require more work than that? Sorry I am ignorant when it comes to transmissons (besides breaking them) lol

I've seen the wrong ujoints put in the rear drive line take out a housing. Only way to tell was when the driveline was spun on the balancer. Find out why it cracked before putting it back in service. Or you will be doing the job again.

Back