48re Diagnosis

semperfidoordie

USMC Veteran
Posted this on another forum as well but wanted your guys help/advice.

Truck doesn't move. Had issues in the past with the 1-2 shift but it hadn't acted up in sometime. Out of nowhere the truck acts like it doesn't want to shift at all and now when put in Drive, 2 or 1 it sputters and dies. It is the truck in my sig. Motor runs fine and when in P, N or R acts as it is supposed to. As soon as it's dropped in D it sputters and dies. From what a friend has said it sounds like a VB issue automatically locking the converter when in forward gears...video in the link
Truck video

Have you dropped the pan at all and looked for debris in the pan or anything out of the ordinary? How many miles on the fluid and filter?

Fluid and filter I'm unsure. I've only had the truck for a few months. Haven't dropped the pan yet but I will today most likely. Fluid is pretty dark and smells burned though.

You could try a new filter and fresh fluid but if the fluid is burnt it may be too late. Also adjust the bands to spec as well. Use cheap Dex 3 and a friction modifier such as Lube Gard to replace the fluid in it. A trans flush kit may be of use also. If you dont feel comfortable doing this Id have a shop do it.

I am comfortable doing it. I am trying to determine whether it's a converter issue or not by unplugging the trans harness on the side and taking the electrical out of the problem. I will post results!

No move in forward or reverse is pump or converter usually. Gov prs sol is a common failure as well but even if that was bad it would still move. If its loaded with metal and black fluid you'd be better off saving your money by just having it overhauled versus throwing misc. parts and fluid at it trying to save it.

Good call. It moves fine in reverse but I can't drive on the road or a military base backwards lol. Should be dropping the pan today

My bet is TC. Had an 06 do something similar(but after being hooked to a sled) and a tc took care of it.

Hmm..planning on rebuilding it myself if possible...still have to pull the pan...had Dr. stuff to deal with today and just got home. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the help so far.

Dropped the pan..didn't find anything in the fluid or pan other than the few pebbles you see from this god forsaken hell hole of a desert I live in

[ame="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/akusmc/media/20130521_195803.jpg.html"]20130521_195803.jpg Photo by akusmc | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/akusmc/media/20130521_195837.jpg.html"]20130521_195837.jpg Photo by akusmc | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/akusmc/media/20130521_195856.jpg.html"]20130521_195856.jpg Photo by akusmc | Photobucket[/ame]

Pretty much ^. Converter should be replaced regardless of what caused the failure...stock ones are oversized paperweights.

Yeah...I kind of figured that just the thought of shelling $5k+ out for a tranny is insane...may try one last thing...tell me if it's out of normal reasoning but could it be something as simple as a TCC solenoid?

Forgot to add the truck had thrown a P1740 code the day prior to the trans acting up...that's what got me thinking about the TCC solenoid

Did you try unhooking the harness and trying it? With the pan off you can pull the OD/LU sol off and try blowing air through it. Should be venting when not energized.

No I wasn't able to get to the harness so I pulled the pan I thought that may be more telling and...as you can see from those pictures it wasn't. The pan looks suspiciously clean to me though for a truck with 175k on it.

I will pull the OD/LU solenoid, which forgive my ignorance is the same as what others are calling the TCC solenoid correct?

Yes. They are on a bracket together. See if compressed air will pass through them from the gasket side

Alright I think I'm going to try and pull the VB...my main question is with the converter locked up as it is...is it worth pulling it down and looking at the OD/LU solenoid or a lost cause? Guess I'm wondering this cause apparently there aren't too many people that have this issue at least that write about it on the forums

Just unplug the 8 pin black plug from up top and start the truck/put it in gear. If it goes right to stall, the tc clutch is partially applied and the converter is no good. Those solenoids rarely throw a HARD code, so if its actually throwing a solenoid code I'd replace them. Again, with 175k you're lucky. You can try a set of solenoids or a valve body but you could just be taking a shot in the dark and wasting your money. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.