48re high 1st shift, then normal 3 codes

Sarafin

2005 dodge with a 48re, TV motor tranny. rebuilt tranny with Suncoast Mega 3 kit, transgo kit in the VB, rebuild 3 disk TC from DPC.
Heres the problem: shift from 1st to 2nd is 2300 RPM no matter what then trans will shift fine, its a good shift not banging into second. Then every gear after that is perfect no issues. the VB has all new electronics and the GM style Governor pressure solenoid from suncoast.
Truck shows 6 codes:
P1753
P1751
P1749
those 3 codes are all listed twice and all relate to the TTVA.
trans has same problem before but shifted at 2500, I did re use the TTVA so I'm not sure if that may be a issue. any help is appreciated
Thanks, Sarafin

You could message Will. (BigBlue24) I'm sure it's something he's ran into. I'm sure you turned the key on 30 seconds first install to calibrate TV (I'm going from memory there and I haven't worked on one of those personally). Actual shift timing is good? Just high? Makes me wonder if a wrong color spring got used in the 1-2 accumulator or something (remember, the trans pcm doesn't know why the shift is up there necessarily, just knows something is wrong when it sends a command and it's not seeing what it's supposed to see). But that would be just a guess.

I used the supplyed accumulator spring in the trans go kit, but I could try the stock one. the first time I ran the truck i didnt calibrate the tv motor but after reading to do that I unplugged it, plugged it back in then gave it a shot, no difference. Could I have fouled the tv motor by not calibrating it right away? Yes the shift feels just like a stock shift, just the rpm is always 2300 never lower but if I wanted to hold the pedal down I could redline the truck and it would shift under load just fine with a good firm shift. I appreciate the input! Just hoping to get this thing going right before pulling season, would hate to be on the side of the road with a toast trans on the way to a pull lol!
Edit: this might be another hint, when I put the truck in reverse, it goes right away never a problem. When I put it in gear it sits there for a second like it's trying to build up pressure than it creeps for a second then engages like a trans should do right when its put in drive

Last edited:
Sorry for double post:
Does anyone know if there's a way to trouble shoot the ttva via ohms trough the connector? A quick Google didn't come up with anything for me

I can't see how not going through the calibration process would damage it. If you used the correct one spring from the kit, then that's out. Only reason I threw it out there was I thought maybe it had to wind up that high to get enough pressure to move the accumulator. I'm not sure if this helps but you can read it - http://www.sonnax.com/articles/136-Preventing-48RE-Transmission-Throttle-Valve-Actuator-Codes
After reading other stuff, it says the computer defaults to a "high ttva" mode when when some of those codes pop. But I would have thought if that was part of the reason the 1-2 shift was high then the others would be high too.

Update: I swapped the ttva put for another used one (condition unknown came of a blown up ats trans) with no change to anything. I did wait for it to calibrate so I guess that's out of the question. I messaged bigblue and was advised to adjust a screw in the pan for the ttva, so I will be doing that this weekend.
It's it possible that I got a bad governor pressure solenoid? I will double check my actuator spring while I'm on the pan. It's just weird to me that I had the same issue on my stock trans and it was the same on a built trans (the trans I built was a core)
Thanks, Sarafin

had a bad ecm cause ttva codes and late 1-2 upshift

Update: I swapped the ttva put for another used one (condition unknown came of a blown up ats trans) with no change to anything. I did wait for it to calibrate so I guess that's out of the question. I messaged bigblue and was advised to adjust a screw in the pan for the ttva, so I will be doing that this weekend.
It's it possible that I got a bad governor pressure solenoid? I will double check my actuator spring while I'm on the pan. It's just weird to me that I had the same issue on my stock trans and it was the same on a built trans (the trans I built was a core)
Thanks, Sarafin

I wondered about that bolt too. That would be the cheap fix. A person has to check it. But two different transmissions giving the exact same codes might mean turboram nailed it right off the bat. You may have to see if a dealer can diagnose it.

I wondered about that bolt too. That would be the cheap fix. A person has to check it. But two different transmissions giving the exact same codes might mean turboram nailed it right off the bat. You may have to see if a dealer can diagnose it.
Yeah I have messaged him about it and it sounds similar unfortunately. Ill try that bolt then hope I don't have to go to a dealership!

Yeah I have messaged him about it and it sounds similar unfortunately. Ill try that bolt then hope I don't have to go to a dealership!

Was his an 05 too? Mine's an 07, and that's all in the engine ECM. I'd have a sick feeling if I had to swap it out.

I didn't ask what year his truck was but it's starting to make sense that the issue is not related to the transmission, because it's was the same problem before the current transmission. What's in the truck now is a completely different trans with a full rebuild, a different tc, I put in a different ttva. And I had the same exact problem before and this 1-2 shift was the reason I put a new trans in the darn thing.

Update: truck is fixed! I had a really good idea that the issue was in the ecm and was about to pull the trigger on a reman ecm but I figured I'd throw one last try at the truck. I had a smarty at a friend's shop that I got in trade for my stock trans. Knowing that the smarty "re wrties" parts of the ecm I decided to put the tuner in and see what happens. And sure as chit she shifts like a dream!
Just wanted to post that up if anyone ever comes across this thread with similar issues in the future.
Thanks everyone for your input!

Update: truck is fixed! I had a really good idea that the issue was in the ecm and was about to pull the trigger on a reman ecm but I figured I'd throw one last try at the truck. I had a smarty at a friend's shop that I got in trade for my stock trans. Knowing that the smarty "re wrties" parts of the ecm I decided to put the tuner in and see what happens. And sure as chit she shifts like a dream!
Just wanted to post that up if anyone ever comes across this thread with similar issues in the future.
Thanks everyone for your input!

That's awesome. I wonder how your stuff got corrupt, and I'm impressed the Smarty overwrote the messed up code!

BTW, that screw should effect minimum rpm shifting, so if it's set to 2300rpm, you wont be able to shift below that, but if you mashed the pedal, it would shift at higher than that. Just something to think about next time.

Also, when the gov solenoid goes, you usually get stuck in gear for a while. You can shift back to N and then back to D to get it to move gears sometimes, but it's just a pain in the ass when it goes.

Back