48RE...No 2nd gear.

02Dodge2500HO

Hey Everybody trying to get some help finding out what is wrong with my transmission. Last friday I got in my truck to go get parts, and I noticed that it didn't seem to be shifting right. The truck would start out normal but when it would go to shift to second gear the engine would just free rev and then shift into third. I know something is not right with 2nd because when you pull the shifter down into 2nd it won't do anything and the engine will just return to idle.
Also on an other note the shift will not go in to park.

If anybody has any ideas or test that I could run, let me know.

Thanks Patrick.

When I broke the 2nd gear band, mine would do the same thing. 1st gear worked fine and if I got the speed up on flat ground then let off the gas I could get it to 3rd gear and lightly lug it. 2nd gear acted like neutral if I manually shifted it into 2nd.

most of the time its an issue with the front band, possibly way out of adjustment, wedge fell out look in pan, rivets broken on band, that being the case normally also burns up clutches. as for not going in park valve body issue????? shifter, park pawl??

i had one of the spot welds break and it cause the trans not to shift into second gear.

if the front band strut fell out it can get lodged in the rooster comb and keep it from goin into park, and with the strut missing, it'll lose 2nd gear. I've seen it at work several times

Yeah what Matt said ^^^... pull the pan and Valve body and inspect the front band(2nd gear) see if the strut bent and fell out, make sure the band anchors aren't broken, and that should determine whether or not you'll have to pull the trans to fix.

Lavon

I have had a cooling fan clutch short out and cause my trans not to shift right. You could wind first out to 33-3500 and let off to nothing and then it would find third. For ***t's and giggles unplug your cooling fan before you drop your pan. Sounds dumb, but is my experience.

Thanks guy for the help. Going to be dropping the pan and valvebody this weekend. Hope its an easy fix, if not guess its time to build it.

When I broke the 2nd gear band, mine would do the same thing. 1st gear worked fine and if I got the speed up on flat ground then let off the gas I could get it to 3rd gear and lightly lug it. 2nd gear acted like neutral if I manually shifted it into 2nd.

mine did the same thing when it was new. it ended up being a solenoid

Mine was a governor pressure solenoid as well. Truck had that issue when I bought it. Probably why it was sold so cheap. A couple of hours later and everything was fine.

Until I ran the Smarty/TST combo. :D

Mine has it only it skips second everytime, no pauses. When you manually shifft it second acts like neutral. I havn't tried to adjust bands, do you think it's the problem, or something deeper.

Well I found out that the transmission is going to have to come out. Front band broke Pieces laying in the bottom of the pan. Going to build it now.

Back