48re overdrive housing swap

MegaCabRam

My od housing was busted so I ordered one on ebay, in the description it says will also work with 03-07 48re if you use the park rod they supply with the housing. my problem is the rod they sent looks identical the the one already in my tranny. I went on and pulled the valve body so I could look at the rod closer to make sure it was the same, and it was.With the park rod pushed all the way forward and the od housing bolted on it is locked in park and I can't get the rod to move... any suggestions?

48RE has a larger diameter park rod, so they sold you a 47RE housing with the 47RE park rod.

Try rocking the truck, or twisting the output shaft.

20150408_082038.jpg

The park rod is suppose to push all the way thru right?

I mic'ed both rods and there identical...

Last edited:
They probably messed up and sent you a 48 rod, when they meant to send a 47 rod.

They probably messed up and sent you a 48 rod, when they meant to send a 47 rod.

That's what I'm thinking, I messaged them and they said "please use the rod we supplied, thanks" So I replied telling them again that they are the exact same so we'll see what they say...

This is another time where I wish i had spent another couple hundred bucks to just get a direct replacement housing and not have had the headache of dealing with this, I got the new engine set in and was hoping to have everything in and running by the weekend but now that's not looking like it's going to happen.

Last edited:
It's no big deal. Get the different rod or pull the od section and replace the park lock with 48 parts.

There supposed to be sending me a new rod but when you say replace the park lock with 48re parts what all are you talking about? I swapped the pawl and lever from my old housing...

If you used the ring gear, pawl, and associated pieces from the 48, the 48 rod should work.

I used everything from the 48 except the lever that kicks out to lock it in park, it looked the same so I just left the one that come in the new housing. If it was that simple looks like they would say that instead of sending another rod?

Make sure you check the o/d housing to brake hub to be sure you have the correct spacer.

You will take 4 measurements 90 degrees apart and add all four together and divide by 4 and deduct your straightedge thickness. Theres a chart that the number you come up with that dictates the correct spacer. A manual will sure help you some as well.

It's no big deal. Get the different rod or pull the od section and replace the park lock with 48 parts.

Tried that this morning but it wouldn't work, the hole for the park lock lever is smaller on my new housing... So now I'm just waiting on the new park rod to get here.

Changing the subject a little, should the plastic piston In the valve body have a spring on the top and bottom? I thought maybe they might have flew out somewhere but I'm 99% sure there wasn't any there.

Back