48re Rebuild kit? (Mts-diesel Kit)

Smokin-1993

Well its time for a rebuild, Trannys starting to slip and gear hunt real bad. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Stage 2 kit from Mts Diesel. They claim it to be for trucks with 100-250hp over stock and I might be pushing 100 over stock at most.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Truck is bone stock except for cold air intake and a super chip flashpaq.

Im in western ky in the paducah area. I have a reputable builder thats going to do it for me. Alan tyler at tyler diesel.

Goerend rebuild kit.

Firepunk would be my choice for doing rebuilds.

Last edited:
OK so its down to the nut cutting. This is my daily driver and im in a borrowed vehicle. I have 1000 to spend on a rebuild kit and not a dime more. Full replacement tranny is not a option. Truck has maybe 75hp over stock and I will never see over 450Hp total.

What rebuild kit would yall recommend in my budget and I have a good mechanic doing for 400$.

Ive had people tell me that those 200-300 dollar ebay kits aren't worth the price but then some say that the ones with alto clutches am steels are awesome

You don't need alto clutches.

A stock clutch count rebuild with a shift kit, a servo cover, 4.2 lever, strut and anchor is plenty for 450hp in a 48re. Get a good TC as well

Ok. Well next fellas spend my money tell me where to buy and what to buy mathews8pt
Ive got a billet tc already

Do any of these kits have cut pressure plates that let you add extra friction clutches and steels to the drums?

Also are kevlar bands available for these trannies?

Mine started doing something stupid today. I am about to post a thread. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Do any of these kits have cut pressure plates that let you add extra friction clutches and steels to the drums?

Also are kevlar bands available for these trannies?

Mine started doing something stupid today. I am about to post a thread. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Added clutches are not really needed for normal use. (after reading the thread you posted up) Stock clutch count is more than enough.

Check out this thread. Lots of good info in there about the 48re transmission.
http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168500

I talked to my salesman(Gene) at OTS (Oklahoma Transmission Supply). He claimed that the 48re already had 4 and 5 clutches where the 47re had 3 and 4. They(47's not 48's) need the cut pressure plates. My dad has the 47re and hates it. If mine is bad we will hopefully build both of them right this time. Gene also said what this guy is saying:
A stock clutch count rebuild with a shift kit, a servo cover, 4.2 lever, strut and anchor is plenty for 450hp in a 48re. Get a good TC as well
. The 48re already has high friction clutches.

Back