48re reverse servo removal? need advice.

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
to make a short story long... i was in reverse with the truck in a bind in sand. the tires barley spun and the motor free revved (unloaded) while in reverse. I let her calm down for a minute, put her in drive and pulled forward with no issues.
Having no other choice i drove her one hour home. never missed a beat, never high trans temps. everything else is functional and i HAVE O.D.
it will move about a foot in reverse before it starts either slipping or loosing pressure.

Where Im at now... Pan has typical wear in it... no fragments and the magnetic plug just has some "fuzz" on it and i was due for a service after my goerend install so i expected some break in wear.

Here is where i am making sure i have some research correct, I have O.D., so i am looking at the Reverse servo and reverse band before i pull the OD section off. Then reverse band does not look discolored in any way but the fluid has a slightly burnt smell to it. i have smelled worse. the truck does make good power and i am hard on the skinny pedal at times.

The reverse servo apply lever had more than 1/4" of slack in it which i know is not good. while i am at this point i am trying to remove the reverse servo and replace it and the o ring with a new one i have in stock and re tighten the lever to spec. (roughly 2 turns from bottom correct)

I am being told i can get it out without removing the reverse apply lever but i am not having luck. the adjuster and jam nut is removed and i have rotated the drive shaft while in the reverse position to get the band to catch. still no dice.

am i missing something or being told wrong?
i am wondering if i smoked the reverse band but i just cant see it.

and if i smoked the overdrive section or broke the sprag i wouldnt have OD correct?

sorry for the speech, just trying to do the "math" before i go after the OD section next.

-Marcus

OD sprag is in OD section.

What happens when you put shifter in manual-1?

Does the truck have a good 3rd gear and do you have engine braking while in manual 1st?

as i stated above, other than reverse, everything is functional, including manual shifts.

engine braking seems normal.

with the truck in reverse and the wheels jacked up... when i apply pressure with a small pry bar to the reverse lever/ band the drive shaft still turns in both directions. does that say anything?

Does the truck have a good 3rd gear and do you have engine braking while in manual 1st?

i did not check for engine braking while in manual first. i will remember to do this in the future for better diagnosis. 3rd gear was fine while driving home but i did not hammer on it with the unknown damage.

3rd gear must be descent considering i always drive in tow/haul mode and it pulled fine with the converter locked all the way home right?

if i put it back together and take it for a drive to test engine braking in first isnt there a chance of further damage or is it done?

if i smoked the reverse band would it have definitely discolored it? or can it wear the band material down with no other sign.

still learning as i go. thanks for dealing with my questions.:bow:

i did not check for engine braking while in manual first. i will remember to do this in the future for better diagnosis. 3rd gear was fine while driving home but i did not hammer on it with the unknown damage.

3rd gear must be descent considering i always drive in tow/haul mode and it pulled fine with the converter locked all the way home right?

if i put it back together and take it for a drive to test engine braking in first isnt there a chance of further damage or is it done?

if i smoked the reverse band would it have definitely discolored it? or can it wear the band material down with no other sign.

still learning as i go. thanks for dealing with my questions.:bow:

I haven't seen it discolor the metal backing, but you will have very noticeable and excessive play in the adjustment. If you have no engine braking in manual 1st the reverse band is cooked.

I haven't seen it discolor the metal backing, but you will have very noticeable and excessive play in the adjustment. If you have no engine braking in manual 1st the reverse band is cooked.

This is what I was going for in my original post - but didn't communicate it well

im leaning twords the reverse band as well it seems. the OD section is coming now. if all looks well there i will be pulling to entire darn thing out!

ill keep you guys posted. i sure do appreciate it.

any update? Did you actually try getting the rear servo out?

Back