48RE Skipping 2nd

Red Sleeper

Rebuilt my 48RE back in December of 2013. 4,500 miles on rebuild now.
New clutches, steels, front band, front drum, wiring harness, solenoids, shafts, DPC flex plate and converter (300rpm below stock stall), sonnax front servo and accumulator piston, beefy strut and anchor with stock ratio apply lever. Also has shift kit that was installed prior to rebuild.

Problem:
Under part/light throttle with trans in D, it will skip shift from 1st to 3rd. Trans fluid cold or at operating temp. Doesn't matter.

Apply more throttle (say ~%50) and it shifts 1-2-3-4 no problem. If I shift manually 1-2-3, no problem either. WOT from a dead stop, shifts no problem.

The trans will also sometimes "hunt" between 1st and 3rd if I coast down to about 20 mph and apply throttle. It will try to grab first then hit third, again with light throttle.

I'm thinking possibly governor pressure solenoid or the stock ratio apply lever.. I have not checked pressures.
Any thoughts?

May be in the Valve body. But the soleniods and band adjust will cause that sometimes.

Had a reputable guy here locally look at the VB and all was good.
I do have an adjustable BW gov press solenoid on the shelf I could install. Just don't know exactly where my pressures should be.

the "hunt" reminds me of the governor pressure solenoid problems i had back years ago before i wen to goerend.

do you have the ability to log the governor pressure solenoid?

also does it do it the same with the Smarty OFF the truck? a smarty alters TPS and that is relevant. someone correct me if i am wrong. its worth a try

I haven't/cant try to see if the problem still exist without the smarty. Right now I have no way to remove the tune. I also have no way of logging the gov press solenoid.

I do have this spare adjustable BW gov pressure solenoid that I could throw on and try. But I'd like to know what pressures I should be seeing being I can adjust. Or just adjust, drive, adjust, drive....

In my mind, I'm wondering if the apply lever ratio will effect this issue. Everywhere I read, people are running the 4.2 ratio lever. Where I still have the stock 5.0 ratio lever.

Back