48re versus Big Block 727

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
I came across an SFI certified transmission and bellhousing shield the other day made for the 727 big block that covers the entire top of the transmission and uses the top 4 bellhousing bolts for mounting.

While I know the 48re is a version of the 727, I've never had one side by side to compare the dimensions and was curious if anyone could confirm whether the rough dimensions are the same or not (forward of the OD unit)

The transmission shield mentioned above for those wondering is the CSR Super Shield http://www.csr-performance.com/shop/product.da/csr836-super-shield---chrysler-big-block-727-torqueflite

I was under the impression they were almost identical. The trans adapters are the same on 1st gens as they are on 2nd/3rd gen trucks right?

I would suspect you would have to modify it to clear the cooler lines. Not sure if the 727 had cooler lines in the same place or what.

I would suspect you would have to modify it to clear the cooler lines. Not sure if the 727 had cooler lines in the same place or what.

Adam, I'm sure you're already running different lines, probably to the rear?

I came across an SFI certified transmission and bellhousing shield the other day made for the 727 big block that covers the entire top of the transmission and uses the top 4 bellhousing bolts for mounting.

While I know the 48re is a version of the 727, I've never had one side by side to compare the dimensions and was curious if anyone could confirm whether the rough dimensions are the same or not (forward of the OD unit)

The transmission shield mentioned above for those wondering is the CSR Super Shield http://www.csr-performance.com/shop/product.da/csr836-super-shield---chrysler-big-block-727-torqueflite

I have a 48 and 47 re if you want to look.

I have a Big Block Dodge truck bellhousing, I'll check to see if the top 2 bolt holes are even close.
I have my doubts.

I do know that the inlet/outlets for the trans cooler lines are in the same place on the cases.

Mark.

Not even close, see pic.

Mark.

Attachments

• 1454795931990-2057201675.jpg
    1454795931990-2057201675.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
Not even close, see pic.

Mark.

Well damn, thanks for checking though Mark

What about the small block 727 version?

Definitely not the small block version based purely on the starter pocket location. On the big block and 48re, the starter is on the same line as the input shaft, the small block has the starter pocket below the center line.

Back