4bt

1990d350

chad
So I am going to put a 4bt in my 97 reg cab short box. I think I'm going to run a 63/68/.88 to start. Just wondering what I would need for a p-pump to fuel it. Thinking 5x.18s or so to start. Maybe go bigger?

That's a lot of injector. Like way too much for that turbo. I'm not sure how it compares being a 4bt vs 6, but I wouldn't dare run that much with 6 cylinders.

Maybe someone smart will show up soon

There is a guy with a single s471 with 5x.25 sticks and a 13mm pump that flows 900 cc. That's a 4bt engine and it dynoed 430 or something like that.

I honestly would get 5x14s and go from there, I would think 5x18 would be way too big of sticks but then again I've never messed with 4bts.

I'm not going to do the math, but I would think that 4 5x.018 would be close to 6 5x.014, which would be ideal for a 63.

My question, my a 4bt? 6bt's are arguably cheaper to build once you factor in $/hp

And why a .88 housing? It's painful on a 6bt, its really going to hurt with 66% the displacement.

Tried a similar setup with a high stall convertor, was a 64-65-I think 13 housing ony 4bt, 5x.016 injectors and had a really bad surging issue. Would get to 30psi and just fight itself all over. Was a Dtech turbo which I found had issues with that. Changed to an he351cw and won't look back made 350 at the wheels on fuel with it and was running nitrous at the track which should have been close to 450-475.

Talk to the guys at stainless, I was looking at the option of having them make me an exhaust housing to run a different 363 and he said he could get rid if that surge with a tighter exhaust housing and different wastegate porting. I decided to go with a tater built 351 and hx55 combination

Last edited:
The reason I'm going with a 4bt is because I got it cheap. Also people have put 6bts in these trucks. Want something different that makes 500 hp as an eventual goal.

Well a 63 with the 5x.18s to start. Then I will run a 476 or 475 with some 5x.25s with the 63. It should spool not bad. It will also have a steed speed manifold, cam, and a mild port job.

If you end up needing a P pump for a 4bt, I acquired one in a deal the other day and it is for sale.

Mark.

There is a guy with a single s471 with 5x.25 sticks and a 13mm pump that flows 900 cc. That's a 4bt engine and it dynoed 430 or something like that.

Chance is selling the little dakota he has it listed on here in the f/s section.. If your planning to build a 4bt or still haven't acquired one for your project I would suggest looking into purchasing his dakota. The 430hp is way low for what its capable of they had some issues that was its first pull and only one they got on the dyno. He would sell it for a price that you cant come close to building one of that level for. Heck the trans in it is a solid 7k with converter etc.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188137

Last edited:
Man, it looks liked I goofed up this guy's thread by mentioning this here. :(

Mark.

I will attest til you sit down and pencil everything out that Dakota is a steal for what's done to it. I had 4k into parts just building mine the first time now 2k miles later and the cam is bad and port and polish I'll have another 3 into fixing everything motor and trams related

the 63 is too big as a single if your wanting any sort of driveability out of it. Go smaller and compound it right away.