4r100 swap

sltlytwkd

addicted
I will be swapping a Ford 4r100 into my 2wd 94' dodge in the near future. Do I absolutely need a trans controller right away, or can it be controlled somewhat like a 47rh with a couple switches grounded out for OD and TC Lockup? I do have a B&M rachet shifter for it as well if that matters at all.

You will need a trans controller, there is no manual valve body in them what so ever. I ran a PCS in my 12v,4r100 excursion and it worked great, Pretty easy to set-up and tune.

Ok, i am working on buying one. How big of a difference is there between the PCS Simple Shift, and the 2000 series?

Huge I would never buy simple shift with a 4r100 and a diesel. You need to be able to set it up load base to help control shift stargey and firmness, cant be done with simpleshift.

Simple Shift is like a carburartor and 2000 is like fuel injection, and a 4r100 would be like the an old 350 TBI motor as a far a complexity.

I'm assuming setting it up load base, you will need the TPS? Can it be done with the original 12valve TPS or do I need the one directly from PCS?

Yes 12v TPS works fine, you can also do MAP based which works better for diesel so as boost comes up you can have it shift harder and no bang shift at low boost

Sweet! I plan on running compounds as well so can I just pick up any cheap 5 bar map sensor and plumb it in the intake?

Exactly, I dicked around using TPS and was able to make it I would say 80% put once you switch to MAP based its way easier and better. Silk smooth shifts when accel lightly but drop the hammer and you can make it chirp the tires.

On that note... Does anyone have one have a PCS they want to part ways with or do I have to buy a new one..??

Facespace is a good place to find used conversion stuff, There is a few fummins pages that I see them for say everyonce in awhile. Seems most guys don't know how to tune them give up and go to a manual.

Change of pace I guess. I would have had to build the 47rh that was in the truck regardless, and I found a good deal on the 4r100 with everything to swap it minus the controller. Im also intrigued by the tuning ability with the PCS. I like a good challenge once in a while!

Ok, I bought a controller! Now how do I go about making a decent base tune until I get the fresh engine broke in?

Back