4th Gen. Steering upgrade

mrmuddy76

Ok so I know this has been discussed before but I have yet to find a list of part numbers for the parts in the upgrade kit. just what little if have found buy getting aftermarket parts like moog the upgrade could be made a lot cheaper. one thing I do not know is if the 3rd gen pitman arm will work or if it is a necessity to change it to a 4th gen and along those lines will the stock 4th gen fit the 3rd gen box. has any one don't the conversion? any one specs aftermarket parts like I am trying to do ?

If you're looking to get a factory '08 + upgrade....moparsupercenter.com has what you need. Everything is included in the kit and was shipped to my door for under $400.

Yes you do need the pitman arm as well. You'll also need a new steering damper. I did the swap this past summer and bought everything from kore Offroad. 08-later tie rod kit with pitman arm was only $350, plus $85 or so for a Bilstein 5100 damper.

If you can do it for less, post up all part numbers and where you got everything from please. I tried looking but came to the conclusion that the whole kit was probably the cheapest way. The only way I think I could've saved would have been to go with a KYB or Monroe damper, which I think were around $30 at the parts store. I chose the Bilstein, admittedly because it's shiney. :D

I did the upgrade earlier this year. HUGE improvement. you will also want to add this to your list. BIG BIG help.
http://www.solidsteel.biz/dss.htm

easy to put in while its all apart. And seeing as you have everything else apart, replace the bushings in your sway bar ends and hold downs.

The cheapest way to go would be the 08+ Mopar steering upgrade and reuse your existing pitman arm. There is an upgraded pitman arm that matches the tie rod angle better but it's not a must have and will save you around $90. If you want take advantage of the 4th gen steering box since it's bigger then you will need a new pitman arm since the 4th get box has a bigger sector shaft.

I'm not sure about lines hooking up but I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult exoecislky if you're going through all that other work.

I used a Rancho steering damper (can't remember the model number) since it was much cheaper.

The reason I was looking at aftermarket parts is I think the good quality aftermarket is better than stock. I don't like the stock stuff not being greaseable.
I looks to me all u need to do it is left inner and outer, right inner and outer, and both adjusting sleeves If u can reuse the pitman arm . Then just get an aftermarket dampner and that it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

If you're looking to get a factory '08 + upgrade....moparsupercenter.com has what you need. Everything is included in the kit and was shipped to my door for under $400.

How big of a difference did you notice?

How big of a difference did you notice?

I had over 300k miles on my factory y-link setup, so switching to the new, beefier design was a huge improvement. The size difference between the two is night and day.

Yes its quite a bit larger but the tie rod is hollow pipe not forged like other style so I wounded how much stronger it is

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Back