4wd only works when it wants to

kas83

Ok guys, I've got an odd situation with my 4wd. If I start the truck, and see that my dash light for 4wd is illuminated, then shift the transfer case, my 4wd works perfectly. If I have been driving the truck, and try to shift into 4wd, not matter what, it won't work. The front axle won't engage at all.

The only time I can get it to work is if the light illuminates in 2wd. Now, I know it has a vacuum actuator on the front axle, and the actuator works perfect when used on my buddies 94. What triggers the actuator on these trucks? Because mine will trigger the actuator at all the wrong times. I don't think I have a vacuum problem, as it does work. I think it's in what 'actuates' the actuator. I'm at my wits end. I have a posi-loc if needed, but would like to figure this out.

well i can type faster than i can read. there is a vacuum actuator on the transfer case near the shift linkage and it can sometimes go bad

Did you check the vacuum lines that go into the transfer case for cracks/leaks ?

No I haven't checked vacuum lines by transfer case, I've been concentrating on the actuator on the front axle. Every time I shut the truck off and turn it back on, it will engage right after I get the motor started. It will then stay engaged when shifted into 4wd, even if I shut off and restart the truck. Which tells me that vacuum is not a huge problem that it will hold.

Only time it won't engage is when I shift into 4wd when the truck is running. I will check the actuator by the transfer case as well as all the lines for problems when I get back home.

Back