4x4 Auto or Manual Shift

Red Sleeper

I've been in the market for a CR for quite some time now and have come to a "T" in the road.. I've searched and read what little their is on the auto shift 4wd. Can't really find any horror stories about them not working or being problematic but its hard to beat linkage for shifting. I was wondering if anyone has converted from auto shift to manual shift? I would just like the piece of mind knowing I'm not relying on an electric motor to do the job.

Also while im on the subject, I have looked at a several trucks (03-05's mostly) and in comparing vin numbers with a 305 motor truck and a 325 motor truck they are the same as far as the type of motor. I looked at a 11-03 305 motor with the letter "C" for the call out of the motor in the vin. Then I looked at another truck 5-04 and it too has a "C" in the vin. Now the 5-04 truck should have a 325 motor right? I still have trouble understanding if do you solemnly base which motor it is off the date or by the vin letter.

Thanks

Well i own an 03 305/555 and have for about 6 years now. Last summer while i was at work in the middle of no where i had to back up a trailer. Since i am a standard nv5600 i turned the knob to put her in 4low. Well the light never stopped blinking meaning it did not shift to 4low. It shifted to Neutral in the t-case and quit working there. My truck was stuck in neutral in the middle of no where. I ended up taking the electric switcher motor off the t-case and shifting it with a wrench into 2hi. I still have not fixed it. Dodge said that when the shift motor goes so does the power control center that runs it, they take each other out whoever fails first. I want to convert to a manual floor shift so i dont rely on electronics anymore its just been a struggle cause not to many 3rd gen trucks came with floor shift. If anyone else has successfully converted please chime in thanks.

As to the 305 or 325hp VIN questions, I'm no help. But I have had the manual shift transfer case in my 03 and 05 quad cabs, and now have the electronic shift in my 06 Mega. None of them has ever given me any trouble. I agree with you that shifting with the linkage does give peace of mind, and I would've preferred for my 06 to have the manual. But I have not had any troubles (106k miles on the truck), and neither has my buddy with his 05 electronic shift (125k miles on his truck).

I probably would go with the truck that has the motor you are looking for (305, 325). I wouldn't let the t-case shifter alone sway my decision from a particular truck.

Hm.. Thanks for the response.

evberger, I've herd a couple stories just like yours which has brought up my concern in the first place.

tinman, thanks for your input as well. I'm opening up my searching for a 03-08 cummins period. Not too concerned about the motor series anymore, but would still like to know the answer about that.

The one reason I have not fixed it the normal way is because the parts from the dodge dealership are expensive. They quoted me about $1500 canadian for just parts not even installed. Second they told me the brain was back ordered. So now I have been checking wreckers for the manual shift. I bought a shift lever out of an 01 but it will take some time to modify to get to work I just have not had time to do it yet. If I do get it put in I'll post up some pics on here. I just wish I could find the shifter made for this body style. I know my transfer case is model #273. Does anyone know what model transfer case that the manual shift 03 and up came with. Also if anyone has a wrecked 03-05 with floor shift i would consider buying the parts needed off you as i cant find any up here.

The one reason I have not fixed it the normal way is because the parts from the dodge dealership are expensive. They quoted me about $1500 canadian for just parts not even installed. Second they told me the brain was back ordered. So now I have been checking wreckers for the manual shift. I bought a shift lever out of an 01 but it will take some time to modify to get to work I just have not had time to do it yet. If I do get it put in I'll post up some pics on here. I just wish I could find the shifter made for this body style. I know my transfer case is model #273. Does anyone know what model transfer case that the manual shift 03 and up came with. Also if anyone has a wrecked 03-05 with floor shift i would consider buying the parts needed off you as i cant find any up here.

Im in the same boat.. Looking to swap in a np271d into my mega to get rid of the auto shift.. U need tO look at the reference tag on ur current t-case.. It will have a 23 or 24 in the code.. If its a 24 then u need a 29 spline 271d if its a #23 you have a 23 spline t case.. I am in the process of hunting down all the parts..

I really wouldn't worry too much about the electronic shift. Yeah it could go but how many cases have been reported of failure? My dad just got one and it is kind of nice but he is an old trucker and pretty lazy.

if ya'll are looking I have a shifter and linkage for a 271 transfer case from my 05 truck i wrecked. you would only have to get a few other parts for the transfer case its self.

Sounds like when it goes out its costly to fix. If ya don't mind, post up a parts list if you get the swap done.

Back