4X4 HE351VE Q's

bna5017

First of all, sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures. all i had at the time, they should get the point across.

when the manifold isn't flipped i am unable to get the center section vertical. the question i have is, is it necessary to have the oil feed and returns vertical? seems that it would be to me but i am not sure.

when i flipped the manifold there is only about a 1/2" between the hood seal and the exhaust housing, and it will be tought to fit a downpipe in there, should be possible though. the main thing i am concerned about with the manifold flipped is the heat, the wire loom for the computer is right behind the hood seal. i would obviously have to make some kind of heat shield.

looking for thoughts and your opinions please.
thank you,
Brett

Attachments

• Manifold_down.jpg
    Manifold_down.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 60
  • manifold_flipped.jpg
    manifold_flipped.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 58
its a tight squeeze either way, just not sure if it the feed and drains have to be vertical. thanks.

there will be an allowable variance from vertical, but you need to get it close as possible.

why not run a 6.7 manifold and port the ports out to match the 12v head?

there will be an allowable variance from vertical, but you need to get it close as possible.

why not run a 6.7 manifold and port the ports out to match the 12v head?

thats what i figured. in the stock position i really doubt that it would be within that tolerance.

a 6.7 manifold would be a solution, if it comes down to that i will buy one.

what im thinking i might do is make a new mount for the shocks and get rid of that tall tower, that would clear up a lot of room, and seems like it would be the best solution (without buying a 6.7 manifold). that way i could use the facrtory oild drain, not have a real tight bend on the downpipe, and it would be a straighter shot from the turbo outlet to the intercooler (easier to fab up this way). i should be able to make new mounts that are at least 3" shorter than the ones that are on it.

yes, the drain should be vertical, otherwise it will blow oil into the intake and huge clouds of white smoke (dont ask how in know lol) ive seen a few of these turbos on 12v's, i thought they were using 24v manifolds.

i was told the drain needs to be within 20 degrees of vertical. but the more towards vertical the better..

i got some new shock mounts just about finished. removing the factory one makes enough room for the turbo to be vertical.

now i just need to make a charge pipe, downpipe and a control mechanism.. any suggestions on a good place to buy some mandrel bent pipe? cheaper than local auto parts.

i am going to try to use drive pressure to control it, and was wondering if i can use brake line rather than copper pipe? the only thing i can see that might be an issue is it is smaller than the copper tubing i see most people use, will it get plugged up or have people been succesful with brake line?