5.9 build in my Chevy

ONEtonXJ

Gathering parts to put a Cummins in my '82 C20 Silverado... My goal is to put 400 to the ground through a Ford 5R110 automatic... This will be a daily driver that occasionally tows no more than 10,000lbs, don't necessarily want a drag/race truck but do to an extent. It needs to be reliable and spool quickly...

So far here's what I've got:
1st gen 5.9 that lived a hard life in a race truck belonging to the previous owner. I've been told that the head gasket let go at over 100psi of boost and blew the freeze plugs out of it.... he tore it down and had the bottom end rebuilt to a stock nothing fancy status and hasn't done anything with the cylinder head. I was going to take the head down and have it checked out and at least surfaced.

Been gathering parts to P pump it, so far I have a pump, gear housing, lines, possibly injectors(the motor is supposed to come with 100hp prince of darkness injectors and the guy I'm getting it from says they're 2nd gen injectors??) still need a gear and possibly a cover? somebody told me a 1st and 2nd gen timing cover were the same??? not sure on that....

since the head is off now and I would like to NEVER have to pull it off again, I'll be putting it together with ARP head studs and whatever head gasket you guys suggest.... I've heard marine head gaskets are supposed to be pretty good.... not looking to build crazy amounts of boost right off the bat but I would like to be able to if 400hp turns out to not be enough...

4000gsk and 60# valve springs from DFI

Dont have a turbo yet, been leaning towards an HX40

Still need an intercooler... not sure what to do here, it seems like the couple of these swaps I've seen, guys take the 2nd gen radiator and intercooler and fab them into the GM core support... we'll cross that bridge late...

For the lazy folks.... looking for 400 to the ground
P pumped 1st gen
4000gsk & 60# valve springs
HX40????
what else do I need???

With all the money you will spend converting & controlling the Ford trans, why not just use a built 47RH?
Check Cumminsforum for the "Budget valve spring" thread. Plain ol' Cummins truck head gasket will be just fine.

Ed

Remaned 5R110 and driveshaft = $550
Destoked adapters = $900
PCS controller and harness = $750 with free software updates, trouble shooting, and tuning from Destoked in Wheatridge, CO (only 3 hours from me)
Precision Industries billet triple disk converter = $1330

Used 48rh = $1500
Having 48rh built to handle what a stock 5r110 can handle = $3000

Having a 5 speed = priceless

Last edited:
My vote is 47rh with manual valve body for a tranny. I would run a BW Box charger like a 62/65

The previous owner made 100psi with a VE pump? And thanks for the lazy people section, I literally got the part where be blew a head gasket and skipped to the bottom. LOL

Remaned 5R110 and driveshaft = $550
Destoked adapters = $900
PCS controller and harness = $750 with free software updates, trouble shooting, and tuning from Destoked in Wheatridge, CO (only 3 hours from me)
Precision Industries billet triple disk converter = $1330

Used 48rh = $1500
Having 48rh built to handle what a stock 5r110 can handle = $3000

Having a 5 speed = priceless

What is a 48RH?

And I hate my 5 speed by the way.

My question was not what transmission should I run, Chrysler had never built a transmission worthy of being called "good". Even built 47rh's are known to fail...

I have the 5r110 and everything to run it and the tech support to make it right, that's what it's getting

My question was what else should I do to my motor while it's apart

I don't know Ford trannies, so didn't know they could handle that much.
Back to the engine, Check out Jigabop's "Budget valve spring" thread on Cumminsforum.com It has the inexpensive springs & rods. ARP studs & again, a plain Cummins gasket, unless you are going to go real high boost, then do O rings in the head. If it's a non DD, just for comp, go for fire rings.
Be sure to do the heat cycled & retorquing of the studs.

Ed

He's got a 1st Gen motor so that thread on the other forum is irrelevant, which also means he posted in the wrong section. I agree with the boxed 62/65 as a good starting point for air. Really 400 hp with a p- pumped truck & a decent set of injectors shouldn't be that hard on anything. Stock bottom end, stock head gasket, and head studs for piece of mind.

Last edited:
Been reading so many threads that I got all crossed up. Either that, or I just thought the 98-02 section would pertain to 24 valves...
Sorry for the incorrect info. Good luck with the swap.
http://www.4btswaps has a section for 6BT swaps & you may find a lot of info there

Ed