5.9 CR Blocks

Goinbyyabig

Free Thinker, Innovator
I am looking at an 04.5 long block to do a new motor build for my 06 truck, and wondered if the 5.9 commonrail blocks are all the same?? I know about the pistons and injector differences, but is there a "preferred" block? I would be reusing my head, cam, turbos, etc.... Looking to go to the 03-04 style pistons and do some billet rods, balance it all and save my existing motor as a spare. It only has about 65,000 miles and I bought the truck new, so I would like to leave it alone. Thoughts?

AFAIK, a Commonrail 5.9 block is a Commonrail 5.9 block.
Now, the heads are different.
2003 and 2004 have pressed in seats that have a tendency to drop out and do damage, whereas '05-'07s are supposedly as-cast for valve seats.

I have a bunch of 5.9 CR stuff that's in good shape, if you're looking for spares, namely a super nice '03 shortblock.

Mark.

I need a short block but I am sure shipping would kill me to Nor Cal
Yeah, I've been finding that anything on a pallet, weighing 500 pounds or more, is averaging $375.
If I had more big stuff to go that way, I'd deliver a whole helluva lot cheaper.

Mark.

Iirc all 5.9 cr's have pressed in valve seats. The 06 head (at least I was told its an 06) had pressed in seats.

Yeah, I've been finding that anything on a pallet, weighing 500 pounds or more, is averaging $375.
If I had more big stuff to go that way, I'd deliver a whole helluva lot cheaper.

Mark.

If would help with shipping I could grab a short block when I head down there to pick up the stuff we have been talking about and bring it back here to southern Michigan, ohio an pa next month.