5.9 problems

Dieselsmoke

I have a question. I have a problem with one of the trucks we have and wonder if y'all have any ideas. It is an 04 5.9 and we have to shoot it with start fluid in the intake to get it to start. Any Ideas??? My thought is it is the injector pump... No white smoke or blow by.. Thanks Trey

well you could start by NOT shooting starter fluid into it...any more specific info you can provide besides it won't start?

Well when did it start doing it? Does it only do it when it's cold or hot? How many miles?

it runs ok once it is up and going but will not start on its on and the air heater is workin fine

Oh yea, you should prob get the mods to move this into the dodge tech forum, probably get the proper exposure over there.

Here ya go chief, now hopefully some of the 3rd gen owners will chime in and help ya out. Still might want to provide some more info on when it started occuring and if you have to start it on ether everytime.

99% sure its your #1 injector. If it goes out then it wont crank start but will pull start and start with starting fluid. In terms to understand when it goes bad it sends fuel back to the pump. But its the only injector that does that. Starting fluid starts it up with it then it sees its running and doesnt return fuel anymore same with the pull starting.

If you don't have a dead miss at idle or under accleration than your injector or injectors are sticking on start up. Common problem with the 555 series. You will have to R&R one or more injectors to fix this problem since you have stated that it does it everytime.?

It sounds like your cp3 is not building enough fuel pressure at cranking rpm's. When you use the starting fluid the engine turns more rpm's and the cp3 will build enough pressure. It could be cause from any one of your injectors, or multiple injestors. Each injector has a fuel return. And if the injector is allowing fuel pressure to bleed into the return then cp3 cant keep up while crankning. Or could also be a limit valve. Limit valve will do the same thing. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks y'all got it fixed.. It was something so minor I overlooked it. The fuel line was suckin air from the water/fuel separator. One of the gaskets went bad...