5.9 vs 6.7 blocks?

86Chummins

Is the 6.7 block weaker than the 5.9 cr block? Only thought it would be because it flows water between the cylinder walls. dont have any experience with them just saw two sitting next to each other and wanted to know before i start my build. thanks for any info

Cylinder walls are made together.

In a 5.9 there are 6 individual bores/sleeves. Water can circulate freely in between the cylinders.

Google it and you see pictures and a better description.

To answer whether the 6.7 is weaker than the 5.9, You have to think about the application of your build. It's been discussed here quite a bit as of recent with a mix of opinions. In short, at stock to 600hp I'd say they are equal, maybe even a little higher. Some peaple say have shyed away at higher hp applications. Its just a matter of how much money you wanna sink into a build and how you do it.

Ill try and find the thread I was reading yesterday

thanks! in the end i want as much hp as possible but still streetable.. i love the capabilities of efi live and tuning! to me there are endless possibilities. i cant wait to see where technology takes this industry. hopefully 1500hp streetable trucks are on the horizon. thanks again

He means he's trying to sell something so he needs to get his post count up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

To answer whether the 6.7 is weaker than the 5.9, You have to think about the application of your build. It's been discussed here quite a bit as of recent with a mix of opinions. In short, at stock to 600hp I'd say they are equal, maybe even a little higher. Some peaple say have shyed away at higher hp applications. Its just a matter of how much money you wanna sink into a build and how you do it.

Ill try and find the thread I was reading yesterday

im still going to be running coolant so i was wondering what block people have had success with before i start my build

Without running a filled block, it's probably gonna come down to cost and availability. If you find a 6.7 for a decent price I'd go that route. Otherwise 5.9 it is. I really like the torque the 6.7 makes compared to the 5.9. Just my opinion tho. Whats your goal for power, and use?