5.9 vs 7.3?

sasdranger

Wannabe
My rangers got past the point of friendly driving on the steet, it more or less really sucks lol. I'm kinda new to diesels, i know some things about them but for the most part I'm a noob.

So, its time to find a tow rig/ new dd.

I'm looking at the 99-02 F250s, but also kinda want a Cummins.. don't know what years though.. I'm also pretty set on an auto tranny for this truck. I'm looking in the $10-12k range.

I know both should get about the same mileage correct? 15-17 city, 20-22 highway unloaded, about 12 loaded..

I don't intend on hauling more than the ranger, maybe 2 rigs on a 5th wheel at some point for a trip to colorado or something. Nor do I *plan* on building the truck.. but i know thats a load of BS, so the limits of a stock block/internals won't be too crucial.. at first i want to straight pipe it, get a mild tuner, and get tranny temp and pyro gauges...

So, considering what I've said, what would you buy? a 7.3 or 5.9? If a 5.9 12v or 24v? Also, which is easier to work on?

More reliable? I'm still young so i know I'll be hot rodding it a bit but I'm gonna try to keep my foot out of it for the most part..

I like the interior of the Ford better, and the crew cab...but that wont completely sell me, after all it is a truck.

Last edited:
Go with a 12V Cummins... most reliable diesel you can get and the easiest to work on. Parts are generally cheaper than the 7.3 also. $10-12K should get you a pretty nice one too.

Remember that there was a switch mid-year in 98 to the 24v. So watch it when you looking at the truck to see if its a 12v or 24v.

Yes, i would add probably better. Remember if you do get a 12v to tab the dowell pin and try to stay away from the 5 speeds.

For towing? Cummins 12 or 24V. The 7.3 is a fine motor and with proper mods can be a great tow rig, but it's a lot cheaper to mod a Cummins and have a better tow rig. The flip side is with a Dodge you are going to go into the tranny with just about any kind of mods, plan on it. The Ford tranny will take a lot more so there the costs kinda level out.

I agree 12v Cummins, if you want the best MPG manual tranny is the way to go, and honestly not cause I drive a Cummins, but Ive never heard of a Powerstorke getting anywhere near 20mpg. But what do I know, nothing.:poke:

Stay away from the 5 speeds? Why?

They are known for loosing the nut that holds fifth gear in. It's a really simple fix you don't even have to drop the tranny for so I would say not to worry about it.

soooo, a cummins will get better mileage? granted i keep my foot out of it.

I'm leaning back towards a dodge, if i can find a quad cab in my price range when the time comes

[/QI agree 12v Cummins, if you want the best MPG manual tranny is the way to go, and honestly not cause I drive a Cummins, but Ive never heard of a Powerstorke getting anywhere near 20mpg. But what do I know, nothing.

I agree 12v Cummins, if you want the best MPG manual tranny is the way to go, and honestly not cause I drive a Cummins, but Ive never heard of a Powerstorke getting anywhere near 20mpg. But what do I know, nothing.:poke:

I have both 12v and 24v Dodge's and a 7.3 Excursion. Mileage wise my
24v is better than the 12v right now but my old setup I had on my Excursion got me at best 26mpg on a trip from Georgia to Maine. Around town and what not it got 15-18mpg. All around everything driving the Dodge will last longer on a tank of fuel.

the 12v will be easy to mod and most mods you can do your self if you can turn a wrench. Most look for a 98 or 97 12v with the 215 p pump on it. Pyro, boost, tranny temp, and fuel pressure gauges for what ever engine you go with. Get a good upgraded tranny if you are gunna be towing and turning up the wick. The 24v will be able to be adjusted on the fly but a upgraded fuel system and fuel pressure gauge is a must. The CR 24v are nice and cheap now. I bet you could get one in your price range. I think that the 7.3 will cost more to get to the same hp level but are still a good engine. I have seen more dodges get over 20mpg then fords.

cummins is the way to go, dont worry about the 5 speeds in a 12v. be careful though the autos in those trucks are on the weak side.

I'm probably gonna get a 6 speed, i changed my mind again..

I would hope a truck shouldn't need too many modifications to pull my little ranger.. I would say ranger and trailer 8-9k right?

if i start pulling a goose neck, 5th wheel.. (w/e people call them here) with 2 trucks on it, then i know I'll need some upgrades.

My main goal is to not turn the truck into another money pit..at first.

One more thing about the dodge.. When did they start making the truck with 4 full doors? not a mega cab but the smaller version.. the quad cab?

I google image searched 02 2500 dodge quad cab, some were the old body style with the extended cab, some were the newer body style with 4 doors so I'm kinda confused, did they change the styles mid 2002?

94-97 were club cabs(2 doors with second row seat)
98-02 2500/3500 quad cabs(4 doors but back ones are suicide)
03-present you can get a real 4 door

If you are looking for a 6spd truck they will all be quad cabs, that tranny was primarily offered behind the HO motor which came to market in late 2000 model years but is mainly going to be 01 and up trucks.