5.9VE or 6.7CR for Fummins Conversion

sjgieson

OK here is the deal, I have a 97 F-350 PSD Crew Cab that I am going to be putting a Cummins/Dodge transmission into it.

Priorities for end vehicle.

1) Reliable
2) Daily Driver/family hauler
3) Decent MPG
4) Low EGTs for Towing
5) High 12s/Low 13s in 1/4 mile:rockwoot:

I currently own this truck (it is for sale but I am considering not selling)
http://gieson.net/gen1
So everyone doesn't have to click that link and read a really long for sale add, essentially it is Gen1 5.9VE stock except for some pump mods and KDP fix. It has fully built 4spd auto(needs a billet input but has a triple disc lockup converter, etc).

So door #1:

Pull the motor/trans from the Gen1 (going to say this cost me 4k as I could still get some money for the rest of truck)

Do head studs, billet input, put new turbo on (have one already off a 351vgt already) and maybe a new 14mmVE pump. $4k ish...

Total cost of drive train itself, guessing about $8000 to $8500 but saves me from selling the truck and it easy mechanical swap.

Guessing HP north of 500??

Door #2:

I have a line on 6.7 G56 combo with 150k on the odo, with everything (ECU, harness, accessories, intercoooler, hoses etc). Cost $7500

Clutch, zeus ECU, head studs, (maybe CP3 updates), rear main, misc stuff $5Kish

Looking at total cost of $12500...

I have a 451VE turbo that needs espensive manifod so say I install that at the cost of an extra 1k..

$12500 550HP?
$13500 650HP?

Door #3?

Equal Door #1 but P-Pump instead cost/HP differences???

Door #4 (not going to happen......)
Fix up the 7.3 power stroke with 220k rebuilt stock ford auto and try to get 500HP with the PSD....$8-9K

OK thoughts? Any opinions on my idea of building up a 5.9 from 1992 to 500hp with stock bottom end?

I think it all depends on your end goal. If it were me, and I had the cash to do everything your talking, I'd most certainly go with the 6.7. Mechanicals are ancient technology, electronic motors are the way to go.

I'm kinda stuck with the same decision in my Kenworth. Whether to put a B model Cat or a C-15 in it. But budget will most likely dictate the outcome.

Edit: Electrical and wiring is not my thing at all. But if I was going to do something like this I'd overcome the frustration.

I have a excursion the wife drives and love the ve with a vgt ......BUT wish I would have put a 6.7 cr in it , better torque and smoke control. Don't get me wrong it runs good and gets great mileage. But the 6.7 gets my vote

Ve with vgt? Good mileage what's the downside? HP?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Back