518 to a 47re has it been done

what would a person need to do such a swap. switches for od and lock up is what is wanting to be done for sure. its a 93 4x4 ext cab,
Any body got a lic or a place to see the 2 setting side by side to see what the diff is??.Or is there a way to by pass the re and make it an rh? will the parts out of my 518 work like vb or anything to make it an rh? the reason i am useing the re was it was so cheap i could not pass it up.

only way to make an re work is with a manual valve body. we did the same swap in my brothers truck, 518 to 47re, switches for lockup and OD.

You need the adapter plate that bolts to the block along with the starter from a 2nd gen truck, the adapter is thicker to allow room for the lockup converter. Trans is shorter so driveline length will have to be changed. T-case will bolt right up.

ok rock where do i get the adapter plate?? is that a find at the local parts store?or is a slavage yard search?.. or need to buy new?

check the classifieds on the diesel forums and maybe craigslist for anyone parting out a 2nd gen.

a manual VB means you have to manually shift every gear? upshift and downshift?

Yep---

AND you need to shift into neutral when you're stopped....
NOT mandatory, but you can definitely feel the trans want to go if you leave it in 1st at a stoplight - after all the TC is the only thing slipping and IF you go full manual you'll probably go to a tighter TC and maybe a 47RH with lockup...

WELL is there any way to get round it.. i mean do i have to use a manual vb. to make this tans work? i wont mind it.. but the wife mite drive it to work and i know sometimes women ferget and wont shift.. hell i mite ferget to. lol