??

Yount67malibu

Coal Master
im more of a cummins guy so all you ford guys gotta help me out. my dad has an 05 powerstroke thats all stock and i was wondering how far can you go before you have to start worrying about headstuds. thanks for all the info

Well lets see..... A chip and......................................................................................................................................................................................................................... oh no i've gone cross-eyed.....

^^Read the rules.

Its a gamble. I added a tune and went 40k without a problem. I also had the worse tuner for the 6.0.

Get a SCT with a street tune and run it. Also get an exhaust system to keep the EGTs down and you should be fine.

ok, ok, ok.... all i can say for sure is that a friend of mine had a power pup on his 6.0 and he had some coolant pressure issues as well as some egr cooler problems.. He bought an sct and it made less power and the programmer cought on fire... literally the tuner started smoking in my hand.....

Thats cause it could sense a dodge owner was present and it was attempting to self destruct rather than fall into enemy hands!

You can push a 6.0 to about 120HP over stock. Eric at ID is a good tuner and your trans will live a happy life at the level. If your planning on working the truck then i suggest you get studs and at mininum block off the EGR. There are a few places that offer full EGR deletes.. which may not be abad decision since the heads will be off anyways. Out side of this you can leave the stock intake... and just get a nice 4" exhaust.

Thats cause it could sense a dodge owner was present and it was attempting to self destruct rather than fall into enemy hands!

LOL :owned:

You can push a 6.0 to about 120HP over stock. Eric at ID is a good tuner and your trans will live a happy life at the level. If your planning on working the truck then i suggest you get studs and at mininum block off the ERG. THere are a few places that offer full EGR deltes.. which may not be abad decision since the heads will be off anyways. Out side of this you can leave the stock intake... and just get a nice 4" exhaust.

X2... One of my customers is a hot-shotter and he has a 04.5 6.0 with a egr delete, o-rings, and head studs.. He had the truck on a load cell dyno with consistent 450+ rwhp numbers and has over 380,000 mi on the clock...

It all depends on the truck and driver. Some trucks just have issues while others don't. The ones that don't if the driver doesn't beat on it, it will last a long time.

My personal truck, went almost 100k with no issues.

Ive got a '06 6.0l that for the 40K miles it was nothin but problems, and it was stock, only straight piped.. Been a bit nervous to do anything too it since.. But my bro and my dad both have/had 6.0ls and havent had an issue

honestly it seems to vary truck to truck straight off the assembly line.

I would say after you do the tuner go for the studs. Eric at ID at most of the other tuners can make "non studded" tunes that will be relatively safe for trucks without studs. Plus Eric has amazing trans tuning.

My truck only dyno'd around 370hp but last time I went to the track was pretty consistant 14.89 at 89mph and with a weight of almost 9,000 puts me at 420-450hp at the wheels. Studs are going to be my next mod, but just because they come next step after the tuner doesn't mean the trucks aren't putting down some power.

Definitely go with an EGR delete while doing the studs as well as getting the heads checked for flatness, the Ford spec sucks.

honestly it seems to vary truck to truck straight off the assembly line.

My truck only dyno'd around 370hp but last time I went to the track was pretty consistant 14.89 at 89mph and with a weight of almost 9,000 puts me at 420-450hp at the wheels. Studs are going to be my next mod, but just because they come next step after the tuner doesn't mean the trucks aren't putting down some power.

You dyno'd at 370hp. and ran a 14.89 sounds right. 420-450 would put you into the high 13's with 9000lbs. (Not sure how you got that weight)

You dyno'd at 370hp. and ran a 14.89 sounds right. 420-450 would put you into the high 13's with 9000lbs. (Not sure how you got that weight)

Weight is a guess, going to get an actual weight this weekend. Was based off what I have seen on other trucks. One guy with a crew cab long bed 06 with the same size tires but no lift and not much extra weighed in at 8800. I figured with the lift (not too much weight) tires, toolbox stuffed spare and tailgate and audio gear I was probably a bit higher than him but guessing 8500-9000 ballpark. The 400+ numbers were coming from the calculators here and on PSN for those times and speed with the 9000lbs, even at 8500 the calculators were putting it over 400, but not too sure how accurate they can be. I'm sure driver error is a big factor in there too lol, was my first time running the truck, 60's were in the mid 1.9's

Crewcab short bed, 4wd auto will weigh in between 7400 and 8200 depending on how equiped and what all it has in it, if that helps any

My truck was a 2003 and outside of me sled pulling it and blowing the turbo out... there was no other issues(not induced by me anyways).

Wondering when the head gaskets will go on a 6.0 is like playing Russian Roulette, except of 1 bullet in the 6-shooter, you have 5.

Some of these trucks hold up to thousands of miles of abuse with a tuner, others blow gaskets stock.

Wondering when the head gaskets will go on a 6.0 is like playing Russian Roulette, except of 1 bullet in the 6-shooter, you have 5.

Some of these trucks hold up to thousands of miles of abuse with a tuner, others blow gaskets stock.

I like that, well said!

i used to say bad crap about the 6.0's too but now that i got one i love it, like they said, it all depends on the truck and driver..some of the new dodges are replacing injectors more then the 6.0's are blowing gaskets

I had 138k on my truck, it was bone stock, before I had a single major problem. It never blew the HGs, I had a cracked head, so I studded and deleted at that time.

On the scales my truck is about 8900+lbs with only 5 gallons of fuel.

I was just wondering earlier today how much weight I was pushing around, and looks like your truck is pretty close to mine. Is yours 4WD????

Back