5spd swap to 6spd???

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
looking in to putting a six spd in my truck instead of the 5 spd just wondering if its worth it to try and adapt my transfer case or just get the combo of trans and transfer case? also is there a difference between the adapter plate for the two transmissions?

Unless you tow heavy and often I really wouldn't bother, you are going to have to rework everything from the motor back including a clutch and flywheel. The 5600 is a great tranny, don't get me wrong, but it's also much bigger and heavier than the 4500.

alright thanks for the advise.:thankyou2: it was just an idea i was tossing around because of the fuel costs and limited funds:bang i am just looking into deals i can get ahold of at my work on some cummins stuff and transmissions :poke:we do a lot of larger trucks and heavy equip and have a salvage yard that its possible to get ahold of somethings to help along with the truck. i guess i need to ask more and read around more on all the methanol and other things to get better mileage. just have limited time on the computer and not a big reader:what: i am more of a hands on picture kind of guy lol. i comprehend more of i see it being done and explained while in the process then i understand and see how it all works.

if you want good mileage... do one or more of the following... ditch the boggers, slow down, buy a $1000 beater to put cheap miles on

if you want good mileage... do one or more of the following... ditch the boggers, slow down, buy a $1000 beater to put cheap miles on

yeah i dont have the boggers on there they were just for the picture i have mickey thompson mtz on there right now 35 inch i only drive like 2-3 days a week to work and thats just to work i normally dont drive home i just want to be fuel efficient and to make my conversion to look more professional than what it is right now everyone comments me on the job i have done on it but i just dont like it because its jerry rigged and half a$$ed. so its just a dream right now.:poke:

it is very nice for towing, and if you're sled pulling it gives you better gear choice, but for just hot rodding around, I like the 5sp

It does not, the 5600 is a bit clunkier than the 4500, but the extra gear is nice when towing.

I guess that's what I ment, I hate manuals.

I can't see myself buying another. Just the nature of the beast. I would have loved to have my nv5600 swapped out for a auto, as long as I didn't have to do it.