5spd Third gear launch "to do or not to do"

SSSDiesel

Sparkplug
Ok guys I'm going to the drags this Friday night and I'm debating about doing a 3rd gear launch. I have enough clutch and input shaft. and I am just over 600hp. I just don't know if this is suicidal or it's really going to make a difference? Who has done this?

If you've got the clutch why not?

I launched my stock 99 in third once. It was fun. Smelly though:hehe:

Got friends doing 4th gear launches. 3rd's are nothing. Just start out with 10psi or so and work your way up till your comfortable. The clutch can take it just fine.

Okay so how am I going to get 10 psi. I can't load it up like an auto.

Says how? Run the clutch with your left foot, and use your right foot to run the brake and throttle. Hold the brake down with your heel, and give it throttle with your toe. Practice a few times and you'll get it down

do it. you got the clutch. heel-toe it, 35 pounds of boost and dump it and go. it makes nice squiggly lines on th road :rockwoot:

okay I just went out and I tried it. and pretty sure I need more practice!! The steering wheel just about jerked out of my hands. And I was giggling like a little school girl!!

two shifts is all you need, 4th to 5th. and i use my left foot for the clutch and brake and right for throttle.

two shifts is all you need, 4th to 5th. and i use my left foot for the clutch and brake and right for throttle.

Something tells me a 4th launch on big tires in 4wd might be a little harder on the clutch. LOL

I see white smoke in your future, and some of it from the tires:rolleyes:

It cant be any harder on the truck than locking it in 4wd, chaining to a 40,000# sled, trying to see how far you can drag it.

It was alot harder to do on the track than the street for the 99 my brother used to have. It was hard not to roll through the lights and get boost off the line. Maybe we have small feet but it seemed pretty difficult to me. The truck will take it but technique is definately an art.

Are you guys talking about a 3rd gear burnout in 2wd or a 4wd launch for racing here? The burnout is easy, never did a 4wd launch though...

I've pondered the idea of some how remote-locating the parking brake, or some sort of popper to release the parking brake with a push of a button. there for you can keep your foot off the brake and better positioned on the clutch and throttle.

Line lock would work as well. for sure would hold back more boost then the parking brake.

As far as a position for the release button... Under go peddle, when the clutch is fully up (think OEM switch for high idle) or button on the shifter or steering wheel. I like the button on the peddles since you shouldn't have to worrie about it when you "go".