6.0 Engine or Transmission Problem?

jrod

Hello everyone. I just brought home a 2005 PSD XLT FX4 with the 6.0 and the 5 speed auto transmission. The truck is great and I love it. It drove flawlessly when I test drove around the city (top speed of about 45 mph). However, when I get on the interstate and the torque converter seems to lock-up if I need to accellerate or begin up a slight slope, the truck starts to shake very badly. If I floor it and cause the transmission to 'kick down' a gear, the shake goes away until I get back to the desired speed and the torque converter tries to lock-up again. It's really frusterating because I just got the truck and I love it. I just hope there's an easy fix and it's not something major. I've changed the oil and filter and checked the transmission fluid. Everything else seems fine. Any ideas what's wrong? :confused:

Take it back to and let them figure out whats wrong with it! They obviously didnt drive it before hand.

sounds like torque converter is going out if its been less than 3 days you can make them buy it back. Did the truck come with any kind of warranty you hope

I think a buck or miss is a good way to describe it.

I'd take it back but it's an eight hour drive and I don't think it would make it. It drives fine around town but I'm afraid of doing major damage.

Does it Buck, and feel like its missing?

call them first thing most dealers have some sort of time limit type warranty 90 days ect. Something definatly isnt right and you need to take it back or have it looked at locally asap.

Calling it a dealership is probably a stretch. It's a guy that buys and sells auctioned vehicles. This particular vehicle was a repo.

Plus, I don't think the truck will make it back another 8 hours on the interstate.

I don't think they did, or at least not about 50 mph. I also don't think the truck will make it another 8 hours on the interstate back to the dealership. Not to mention the time off work I'm going to need to take or how I get back once I get the truck there. I'm in the military and the possibility of me being able to go that far on short notice is slim to none. I realize that I should have returned the truck as soon as I noticed it but I'm afraid it's too late for that now.

Take it back to and let them figure out whats wrong with it! They obviously didnt drive it before hand.

Sounds like a bad injector. With it in park, rev it to about 2500-3000 RPM,a nd see if it misses.

HMMMM, probably not an injector. Mine did it in 5th with the TC locked up, but you could hear it miss at the same time, and it would miss a little in neutral.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish/hope it is an injector. They're under recall right?

HMMMM, probably not an injector. Mine did it in 5th with the TC locked up, but you could hear it miss at the same time, and it would miss a little in neutral.

Just to give you guys and update or anyone else that might have a similar problem. My transmission was shifting into overdrive and it would feel like you were driving over rumble strips on the highway if there was a slight incline or you tried to accelerate slightly with the torque converter locked up. So I took it to a transmission shop. They flushed the fluid and guessed that the torque converter wasn't working properly because someone put in the wrong type of fluid. It shifted and ran well in OD for about 10 miles then back to the same old. Transmission shop figures that swapping the torque converter is the next step.

huh. well thanks for the update, is the dealer you bought it from helping any?

You were right, it ended up being an injector but it wouldn't do it until it was in high gear and a load put on the engine. The truck ran fine throughout the remainder of the rpm range. If I drove between 45 and 65 it would start to stutter. But if I sped up to 75 it would start to go away. Apparently it was bad enough to effect the spray pattern but not too bad.

Sounds like a bad injector. With it in park, rev it to about 2500-3000 RPM,a nd see if it misses.

Back