6.0 FICM flash/problems

bigf350sd

Hi, about 3 days ago, I took my 04 F350 6.0 in to the dealer and had them do the cold start inductive heating program on the FICM, and then I drove a couple miles to the house, and changed the oil with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Synthetic 5w40, and a new motorcraft filter, then changed the 2 fuel filters with the updated design motorcraft filters. OK, before I had the flash done, my truck was bad with cold starts, ran rough, missing, loud as a hammer mill so to speak, and had lower power until it was at operating temperature, then it smoothed out. Since I did everything to it the other day, it made a huge difference in the way it runs cold, sounds MUCH better than before. Since the flash and work, I have had it crank up and die a couple of times before it keeps running when cold, but once it does, it sounds great, but now it seems to run worse when its warm! It has a small "stumble" when you're in overdrive and mash on it, and it has a hesitation in it sometimes, runs real rough for a bit then smooths out. When it does it, you could be running 50 or 55 mph and try to accelerate lightly without shifting into overdrive, and the whole truck will start shaking rapidly, and you can hear the engine hesitating or missing, and then if you floor it on down into passing gear, it smooths out. I used some Ford Cetane additive in the fuel and it didnt make any difference. My question is, could it be the flash just making a bad injector more visible now, or is there a problem with one of the fuel filters or something? Ive looked at both fuel filters to see if there was a leak, but dont see any fuel anywhere. Any ideas? :bang

Kinda sound like mine, when I had a electrical failure on #5 injector. See if you can pull codes and what they are.

Well, before the flash, I would SOMETIMES get a #7 cylinder code, but havent gotten anything lately. Im still leaning towards it being an injector though, whatever is going to cost me the most is what it'll be...LOL. Thanks.

I think the inductive heating cycles the injectors to warm them up to prevent sticking which stresses the coils. Check the connection at the injector and see if you can get lucky. But probally an injector.

Well I appreciate it, I'll give it a shot. Yeah, it cycles the coils, and seems to have quitened mine down a good bit, but now it just doesnt run as smooth once warm as before. Kind of aggravating, but oh well, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

I know how you feel. It took me a while to figure it out before it hit me on the head like a hammer. But a few beers for patience and my truck was fixed.

I was wondering, aren't the injectors under the valve covers? Is there a seperate wire for each outside the cover, or one large harness going through?

Yes, the injectors are under the valve covers. The connectors pass through the upper head part. There are seperate harness break outs to each injector. They have a metal clip to push on and then you pull the connector out. Not that bad to get to and fairly easy to find.
This site has helped me out alot: 6.0L Bible Table of Contents

:Cheer:

Check to make sure all of your injector wires are plugged in. I had the same problem for a long time with no codes thrown....it turned out to be a bad #5.

thanks guys, Im gonna check it all out, probably pour in some Rev-x too the first of next week.

Well, I ordered 2 bottles of the Rev-X Friday morning, and it got here Monday afternoon, FAST. I ppoured it in, and drove it about 5 miles, got it up to operating temp, and the thing completely quit missing and shaking, surging, whatever you want to call it. I got up this morning and cranked it up, and it was 49 here this morning, and it sounded like it did when it was new. No miss while it was sitting there idling, or anything. I went back inside, let it run for a few, and then went back out, and it was up to about 125 or 130 engine oil temp, and drove it, and it ran perfectly. I may crank it up in the morning, and drive off instantly, and just see how it does with the engine oil temp down around 80 or 90. Im really impressed with this stuff, and even if it did still have a miss tomorrow morning when it was down below 100 EOT, it has definately fixed or stopped my miss and rough running when it is warm, and im SOLD on it. Try it....IT WORKS.

[
This site has helped me out alot: 6.0L Bible Table of Contents

:Cheer:[/QUOTE]

This site is great, definately a big help

Where do I find this Rev-X so I can try it and what does it do to the injectors(clean them)
Thanks Eddie

excuse me everyone I asked questions that might be considered stupid considering I did not search for an answer first. I did search after the fact and found my answers. Thanks for not busting my balls for not searching before I could apologize and thanking ya'll.
Eddie

I don't know what they put in it or do to it, but that stuff works! Ever since I got my sample to test out I've been a believer in it and will continue to tell people to try it out.