6.0 Litre in Work 450 Running Rough

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
Guys, I noticed a few days ago the work 450 sounding pretty rough when our drillers were letting it warm up (it has a Mobile B30 Drill Rig attached to the chassis, around 12-14k total vehicle weight). Today Kieth, our driller, asked me to come listen and it sounded really rough. He indicated it didn't always sound like that warming up when cold. It sounds almost as if there is an injector issue or something i.e. missing, shaking, and a little more rattle than a 6.0 usually has. Exhaust didn't have any out of the ordinary smell to it. Truck has around 30k on the clock and is an 07 (possibly an 06). Anything to look for specifically? I suggested they change the fuel filter which has not yet been changed according to Keith.

p.s. Keith is fairly hard on it in the sense of I hear them leave our office all the time going right to max throttle. I tell them not to do this all the time but they don't listen. He says it is not using any coolant and has pleanty of oil.

I know nothing about 6.0's but the bosses 07 has been doing the same thing for around a month... he's fairly hard on his too. Two days ago, it went down on him and he had it towed to the local stealership.. they said egr valve/cooler and possible headgasket... 75k. Yours could be similar...

I know nothing about 6.0's but the bosses 07 has been doing the same thing for around a month... he's fairly hard on his too. Two days ago, it went down on him and he had it towed to the local stealership.. they said egr valve/cooler and possible headgasket... 75k. Yours could be similar...

Hopefully it is as simple as adding some of that rev-ex stuff I linked to but anything is possible. The only thing I know about 6.0 trucks is not to buy one (no offense 6.0 guys:()

IMHO:

1) Change the fuel filters (needs to be done regardless if it's the root cause)
2) Test FICM voltage
3) Test injectors

If the problem goes away after the truck is warmed up, it's likely caused by #2 or #3.

Could be sticking injectors. Like stated earlier throw a little Rev-X in there and see what it does.

IMHO:

2) Test FICM voltage
3) Test injectors

If the problem goes away after the truck is warmed up, it's likely caused by #2 or #3.

Right on!

Although I'm a big fan of Rev-x product it will not fix a mechanical failure/s, it will prevent injector spool valve sticktion and in most cases it will temporarily correct mild sticktion related problems. The 6.0s have too many component failure points to be able to properly diagnose one just by a failure description.

I would first have someone that's very familiar with the 6.0s diagnose the rough run issue. Then I would fix the failure/s and as preventive maintenance use Rev-x oil additive, along with 5w40 synthetic engine oil we have seen some very impressive results.

Last edited:
If it runs like a gas engine with a plug wire off it could be a injector. Most of the time if the EGR cooler go's out you will have white smoke or steam and not much of a shake happens. If the head gasket go you will lose coolant. if you have a injector problem get your fuel pressure checked out it should be close to 65psi at idle with no drop at WOT

Check the fuel tank/pick-up... if its a steel tank the inside coating could be delaminating and clogging up the fuel pick-up screen. itll look like silver flakes floating around. just had an 02 7.3l 450 do the same thing. it would run fine then slowly get weak and start missing really bad. i unscrewed the fuel filter and it spewed out diesel everywhere. turned the key forward and it was just air bubbles, and the level was barely rising. took sender out and it was packed full....

joe

When was the last time the oil was changed?

Change the fuel filters and get it on a good scanner

IMHO:

2) Test FICM voltage
3) Test injectors

^^X2!

^^X3. The two biggest killers of 6.0 injectors (and 7.3's) is dirty oil and/or dirty fuel.