6.0 mystery noise...

06TWO50Diesel

kinda goin somewhere fast
Here's the symptoms. Sounds like a grinding and chattering sound inside the trans tunnel. BRAND NEW suncoast trans and converter with 100 miles on it. Motor runs great and pulls VERY VERY strong, spins 35" tires at 70mph and light rain on the road, strong! The sound begins at roughly 10mph and will continue to chatter and clunk around throughout the power, and only grows in volume the deeper I lay into the throttle. Only occurs under load, very very slight hint of sound at idle. The motor DOESN'T change tone or strength during the sound. The trans shifts PERFECTLY and like a machine gun.

Could this be the flexplate? It's the only thing left in between the motor and trans... this seems to be some sort of mystery to have warped the flexplate in a Ford with a 6.0. If I'm the first, let it be haha The sound occured after my 12.12 pass and I let it have it and went 11.86@116 even with this sound. I believe it's the flexplate, and pretty much everyone I've spoken to finds this to be a crazy thought. What do you all think? I don't believe it to be the 4x4 transfer case... the sound comes from DIRECTLY below the trans hump in right near the firewall.
Any assistance will be MUCH appreciated!
(an ATS flex is on order already... might as well replace it anyway)

I talked to Evan about this. did you check to make sure someone tightened the converter nuts all the way? And this could have a slim chance at a branch tube rattling against the cover. Evan had mentioned an extended crank time. Some 06s had the aluminum pump cover which means potential snap to connect fitting problems.

I'll have them check over all of that when they have the trans off for the flex plate. I just hope it's a simple fix.
The thing that's odd, the trans and everything was great up until I ran those hot times. Other than that, the trans was silent and problem free. That's one of the reasons I believe something went out of whack opposed to being an installation error. My trans had a large amount of miles and beating on it before this occurred. The sound is identical to when the old set up I had in there too... no difference. Just to give a bit more info.
thanks for the ideas doug!

Dang... no one else? I know we have some smart people making some power on here, so that's why I asked.
I'll let you all know if it's the flexplate once I put in the ATS unit, if not, on to the next piece.
Possibly the transfer case? anyone ever have an issue with that?

So you had a noise before you took the trans out. And still have the noise. Well here is your own flex plate.

Transout800px.jpg

If the flex plate itself was broken you would have alot more problems than you describe. And bolting it up to the converter would probably straighten it out if it was out slightly.

Transfer cases make noise when the chain is stretched and rubs the case while in 4HI. Since your noise is while idling the transfer case isn't doing jack ****. Have you even looked at the front of the motor to make sure the fan isn't rubbing something or a pulley isn't touching something? Or the belt itsn't frayed and making noise.

Yeah- I checked the belt, no fray or wear. Didn't look to the fan rubbing, but it's not from the front of the truck, this sound. I wish I could take everyone for a ride in the truck and than make a post haha
on the outside of the flexplate there, that isn't heat damage or anything, see the heat scarred look to it, or is that normal wear and tear?

thanks again for some help doug, I just get bugged easily when it comes to this stuff... but it's the price to play.

I know this sounds strange, but have you checked to make sure your downpipe isn't making contact anywhere. Mine did that and I thought I had a tranny problem/transfer case issue everytime I ran it hard. Turns out the exhaust was hitting the frame just under the pass seat. :doh:

I know this sounds strange, but have you checked to make sure your downpipe isn't making contact anywhere. Mine did that and I thought I had a tranny problem/transfer case issue everytime I ran it hard. Turns out the exhaust was hitting the frame just under the pass seat. :doh:

Ditto. Exact same prob and outcome. Mine made noise during left turns.

well... i'll check that again. I checked it once and there was about a 1/2" clearance all around, but maybe it got moved when the trans came in and out and is a coincidence to what's going on around it, ya know?
thanks guys! you all probably know the hate you feel when the rig is just running great but one thing is in your way haha

I destroyed my stock flexplate and an ats 5star converter with it too. The sound of one cracking is unmistakable, youll think something is about to come through the floorboards.

I think I hurt it at the track, I had a couple passes where it hopped a little bit in 4hi and the next day the flexplate let go.

Ok- here goes haha
Not the down pipe... I pry barred that thing out of the way. I left the truck running and got underneath, sounds like there is something being tossed around in the bell housing of the transmission. Not sure what it is, but definitely want it to be opened up and looked at. Something is loose in there and I just can't put my finger on it just yet.
I'm still confused as to why the motor and all was fine until the passes I made. I mean, I completely understand power and what it does, for sure! But I'm saying, why would it have made the sound and now it's right back there, even AFTER the trans was buttoned up and fixed. Somehow, it's the identical sound I heard that made me pull the trans in the first place. Something unrelated to the transmission itself is not doing its job or took the highest honor of going down in the line of duty haha

Does the sound go away when you press on the accelerator and load the engine a little?

that thing sounds like rocks in a coffee can doug. its weird...and that thing was making louder noise when he was getting on it.

i talked to nate today..its in good hands right now! LOL

DEALERSHIP....DO WORK!

Maybe its the sound of him ferociously trying to scratch his arm under his "hot" pink cast?

Rocks in a coffee cans sounds like LOOSE convertor bolts.

I went wheeling with a guy that had that happen on his Jeep. We thought the botton end of the engine was going to let go... that's how bad the noise was.

Rocks in a coffee cans sounds like LOOSE convertor bolts.

I went wheeling with a guy that had that happen on his Jeep. We thought the botton end of the engine was going to let go... that's how bad the noise was.

Told him the same thing on the phone.

haha...thats funny..i told nate hes gonna be like that kid from that movie rookie of the year with the sling shot arm.

rookie_of_the_year2.jpg

HAHAHA!! awesome paintshop skills Evan! you're wild man haha

I'm gonna have to say at this point, I think it's a loose bolt somewhere and somehow it's mimicking the sound I heard when I broke through the converter. Tomorrow I'll know more though, it's hard to do, but I'm taking it to the dealership (who are some really good guys) and having them see what they can find. They don't care about all the mods at all, so that's a plus.
I'll post up what they find as soon as I hear- thanks for all the help guys. I just want BB to be running like the bullet it is, without any sounds haha

HAHAHA!! awesome paintshop skills Evan! you're wild man haha

I'm gonna have to say at this point, I think it's a loose bolt somewhere and somehow it's mimicking the sound I heard when I broke through the converter. Tomorrow I'll know more though, it's hard to do, but I'm taking it to the dealership (who are some really good guys) and having them see what they can find. They don't care about all the mods at all, so that's a plus.
I'll post up what they find as soon as I hear- thanks for all the help guys. I just want BB to be running like the bullet it is, without any sounds haha

What dealership are you taking it to. i can't remember who you told me to go to before. Thanks

Back