6.0 Newby Questions

jlansaw

Hello,
I'm new to Comp D site. Also new to diesel mods. Just bought my first diesel pickup, 2003 F250 6.0l Crewcab 8' bed. I've got the diesel mod bug. I got a hold of an used Edge Juice with Attitude from a friend, put that on because it was handy and cheap. Also dropped stock muffler and put 4" exhaust from there back. Didn't notice much change in sound after losing muffler. What is it that gives that throaty sound and loud turbo whistle? Also is an after market air intake a good idea? If so, which one? Seems like not everyone agrees that it's a good mod and they have claimed some turbos? Any other simple mod advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Get rid of the Edge, it will eat your tranny. Get with one of our sponsors, DJ, or DOug and get an SCT. Pull the cat off, and it will whistle and be throaty as a mofo.

no negative performance from removing muffler and cat I assume? no back pressure issues, etc. (bear with lack of knowledge)

our motors dont work off of backpressure..so not cat and no muffler is no problem.

get a 4" turbo back exhaust with no muffler or cat, and an SCT from Doug or DJ, and your truck will haul butt!

I have had the chance to test quite a few different intakes and most don't help the top end horsepower. Some help low end and mid range but a lot of them will actually lower the top end hp. Just my $.02

I personally like my Quadzilla programmer with an SCT transmission tune. They seem to work well together. But I have also hard wonderful things from our sponsor’s tunes on the SCT. So, if you want to save money, SCT probably the best way to go.

Things you might want to consider, your EGR and EGR cooler will most likely cause your coolant to boil. So, you might want to consider doing an EGR delete, and head studs down the road.

Welcome to the group!

hpprose, have you not tried a race file yet? if not, you need to try it, and then you will think twice about that quad box.

No, I haven't.

My Livewire only have the original tunes from SCT. I have talked to a couple people about getting a few custom tunes but I haven't actually received any of them. So, the Quad box is what I'm using.

The reason I like the quad box is because of the way if brings in the power. It also, leaves all of the factory safe guards in place, which is important to me. When I use the SCT tunes, my mileage goes way down and the performance seems a little rough, not to say it isn’t there, just doesn’t feel like everything is working the right way. Don’t really know how to explain it any better than that.

I’m going to have to do something here pretty quick. I’m starting to add additional things to the truck that need to be factored in to utilize them properly. So, probably after my next story is done, I will have to do something.

just call doug or dj and get them to send you race file, it's like 50 bucks for two tunes or something like that.

^^^my advice for you is get in touch with DJ at Dj-dieselperformance they will get you taken care of and improve your mileage and also make you truck haul major ass...hit them up they are really nice people and easy to work with..get the unlimited tuning because as you build your truck they will give you new tunes for everything you add to it down the road

Yeah, I just need to get the next couple stories out of the way. Then I need to get a few custom tunes.

Back