6.0 oil pressure problem!!!

chids14

It has taken me quite some time to get to where I am today. I have narrowed it down to what I think is an oil pressure leak.

In the spring, I returned from a sand dunes trip... with no warnings I shut my truck off as we unloaded some bikes, 20 minutes later, it would not start. After about 45 minutes of being shut off, it started after 8 seconds of cranking. Once it started, it ran like a champ, no smoke or rough idol.

It will only start once the oil temp cools down. I had a ford dealer work on it under the table(which sucked!) I gave it to him in June and I still don't have it back. He told me three times that he knew what the problem was... o-rings, a new hpop and over $1,000 later, he said he cannot figure it out. He says its not the ipr or lpop and he also said he replaced injectors(just to check). I'm not sure where to go from here. He said he has sent readings back to "the ford guys" and they are stumped as well. To me, I just don't think it can be this hard.

Again, it is all focused around the oil I think. After two hours of running, it starts to give out on me, or it simply won't start if the oil temp is at running temp or even 1/2 way to running temp(stock gauges). Any ideas, of where I could look now?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time!

Try and pressure up hpop system with air and look for leaks. If that has not been done yet. If it has somone probally smarter than me, will have a direction to go.

what year is the truck, it is a 05 it is most likely the quick connect on the hpop. The other most common leak is the branch tubes on the injectors. Where are you located, you need to find another tech

You probably have a leak or a problem in the HPO system. I have seen this before. Since the oil is less viscous at higher temperatures this would show then. Possibly a seal or something is leaking by, you wont be able to tell until you apply air to the system. You truck needs to be mostly torn down, cab off. Ford has all of the tools for this, but its all in the question of the mechanic doing your work. Your going to need a second opinion, I know about one power stroke mechanic that is worth a damn in the ten plus ford dealerships that are around me. It is plausible you have a mechanic that does not know what they are doing or has lack of knowledge in more advanced repair of these engines....not that I consider this problem advanced. I would find someone else to work on your truck. If he is "talking" to Ford no answers will come quick. They are slower than a heard of turtles. Typically they talk to the FSE's Field Service Engineers and if you have a ****ty one then your back to square one. They have a message board like this they can post on too, but you get every meatwhistle from around the USA chiming in on your problem.

You probably have a leak or a problem in the HPO system. I have seen this before. Since the oil is less viscous at higher temperatures this would show then. Possibly a seal or something is leaking by, you wont be able to tell until you apply air to the system. You truck needs to be mostly torn down, cab off. Ford has all of the tools for this, but its all in the question of the mechanic doing your work. Your going to need a second opinion, I know about one power stroke mechanic that is worth a damn in the ten plus ford dealerships that are around me. It is plausible you have a mechanic that does not know what they are doing or has lack of knowledge in more advanced repair of these engines....not that I consider this problem advanced. I would find someone else to work on your truck. If he is "talking" to Ford no answers will come quick. They are slower than a heard of turtles. Typically they talk to the FSE's Field Service Engineers and if you have a ****ty one then your back to square one. They have a message board like this they can post on too, but you get every meat whistle from around the USA chiming in on your problem.

Thanks for your input. The first thing I heard about my problem was to do the air test. I'm sure the guy I had working on it did not try this, since the two times I asked him, he changed the subject. Today my truck got put onto a tow bed...:doh: I'm having one of the most reputable dealers work on it here in Utah. I'm told that doesn't mean anything though. Either way, I hope to know what the problem is by the end of the day or sometime tomorrow. From there I will see the costs of the work and whether or not my buddies and I can't just fix it ourselves.

Your comment about the cab coming off is starting to scare me however! :nail:

mail