6.0 questions

zstroken

For $$$ your name here
We are in the quest for the SUV and would like to have an excursion. Of course I don't want something with 250K on it, so sadly that puts us in the 6.0 range.

So what things do you look for on the 6.0? I assume if you do the EGR/oil issues you take care of 90% of the problems?
If we tow it will be under 10K just would like something that will haul 7 people well, and your not worrying about laying the transmission on the highway if your towing 7000 lbs or so. Plus I don't want 10 MPG when I am just driving around.

dont forget the coolant filter thingy, i would still the head gaskets though and everything that go's along with them

Is a 7.3l Excursion out of the question? I am a 6.0 fan but a 7.3l might ease your mind a little more.

Maintenance is key with a 6.0l. Run good oil and change it often. Always use Motorcraft filters(oil, fuel and trans) I will say that 80% of the "little" issues people complain about are from lack of proper maintenance.

I am at 285,xxx miles on my 6.0l and it is still running strong.

Is a 7.3l Excursion out of the question? I am a 6.0 fan but a 7.3l might ease your mind a little more.

Maintenance is key with a 6.0l. Run good oil and change it often. Always use Motorcraft filters(oil, fuel and trans) I will say that 80% of the "little" issues people complain about are from lack of proper maintenance.

I am at 285,xxx miles on my 6.0l and it is still running strong.

I would be ok with a 7.3 if I could find one that didn't have 150K-200K on it.

Thats gonna be hard to find with either engine IMO

Check this stuff out when looking at one:

EGR valve - Pull it and see how much soot is in the intake. Lots of idle time=lots of soot

Look for dried coolant on the degas bottle/coolant reservoir

Ask about maintenance. Oil type, filter brand used...

Check for leaks, especially oil leaks, even up top, sides of engine block.

Test the FICM, Batteries and alternator. Bad batteries or alternator will kill a FICM. Easy fix, but its a $1000 fix from Ford if you go that way. Can find used FICMs for 300-500
If possible put the truck on a scanner. Even better if you can test drive the truck with a scanner hooked up. Mainly to see the EOT/ECT delta.

and get an Oasis report done. That will tell you everything that was done by the dealer, under warranty.

Last edited:
Start your test drive cold, pay attention for any rough running, if so injectors are on your horizon.